Finished

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Arctic

Finished

Post by Arctic »

Well, The Nightheron is finally ready for the water- looking forward to testing her out soon.

Photos here: http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/nightheron/

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very colorful! The Night Heron has nice lines and is reported to be a very good design. Let us know how you like the handling.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Colourful indeed! I gather that you painted after otherwise completing the kayak?

Cheers & Congrats,
Bryan
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Took her out this morning. This was the first time I have been in a Kayak in about 12 years. So I started nice and easy in shallow waters on Lac LeMay in Hull.

I was impressed by the handling, stability and speed. The hull design seems superior in these aspects. I also liked being low and close to the water. The biggest problems are getting in and out- I found it rather awkward- hopefully I will get better at this with practice.

The build was challenging- especially the glass job, and it shows. But, she is strong and steady and will make a great day tripper. And nothing, and I mean nothing beats that feeling of paddling a boat you built yourself, I wouldn't trade her for any other.

So, now I am having the whole Canoe vs. Kayak debate with myself. I think I am still partial to the Canoe, for a number of practical and personal reasons. I would be interested in hearing others thought on this one.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Arctic wrote:So, now I am having the whole Canoe vs. Kayak debate with myself. I think I am still partial to the Canoe, for a number of practical and personal reasons. I would be interested in hearing others thought on this one.
Glad you enjoyed yourself! Regarding kayak vs canoe, I'm not one of those that is too particular and think those that adhere so strongly to a single position are a little silly. I'm a canoeist first, but if you are going out alone on a day with some significant wind, it's hard to beat the low windage of a kayak. Tripping, I appreciate the storage of the canoe. I can bring my dog along in the canoe too. With the kayak, I want to learn to roll. Although this can be done by some canoeists in playboats with flotation, a kayak must be a lot easier to roll.

In an ideal world, I would have a stable full of canoes & kayaks, plus a row boat or two, so that I can choose the perfect boat to suit my mood, the weather, the paddling conditions, and the company I am traveling with. Of course I would need at least as many paddles so I'm working on building up that paddle inventory too.

Cheers.
Bryan