Varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danny Turner

Varnish

Post by Danny Turner »

When applying varnish to the new canoe is it OK to apply straight from the tin or should it be thinned with a suitable thinner and 3-4 coats applied? Thanks folks. I have`nt been around for a while but my canoe is now at the final stage (almost).
Thanks again.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Hi Danny...

I'm just finishing off my varnishing stage. I used Epifanes High Gloss, and followed the manafacturer's instructions - first coat was thinned 50% with Epifanes Brush Thinner. Second coat was thinned 25%. Third and fourth coats were thinned 15%. I put a final coat on the hull last night - thinned at 10%. Every coat was dry sanded with 320 grit.

Some advice - work the varnish across, diagonally, and across again. Try to get as thin a coat as possible. It will prevent some drips and sags for you.

Good luck...

Bill
Danny Turner

Varnish

Post by Danny Turner »

Thanks Bill. I`ll go along with that. I want to get it finished before I go to Toronto this year and hopefully get up to Rice lake for a spot of canoeing and fishing. Also Peterborough is quite close and I`ll get to see the canoe museum again.
So thanks again Bill.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
ealger

Varnishing

Post by ealger »

Really good method and advice here:
http://www.greenval.com/FAQvarnishing.html
Ed...
Ed Alger
Danny Turner

Carnish

Post by Danny Turner »

Brill Ed. And I think I looked at this same page sometime ago too. Thank you.
Danny
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You won't need to thin the first coat 50%. The Eppifanes directions to thin 50% assumes a bare wood surface. Starting with an epoxy surface which won't absorb any appreciable volume, you can start with a bit thicker and go from there.
Thin coats...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com