shaping outer stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

shaping outer stems

Post by roger bebee »

I am having trouble visualizing this part of the fairing process. I have the outer stems installed on my prospecter, they are tapered from a full 7/8 of a inch from where the mortice started to just under 3/8 where they end at the keel. I have them faired from the keel where they are flush with the hull planking to a point where they are again 3/4 inch thick so they follow the rocker of the hull. They seem to gently rise out of the hull. Now my question,I am plan on installing 3/8 stem bands,in shaping the sides of the stems to follow the projected line of the hull I will not be left with a flat leading/bottom 3/8 wide flat face to install the bands. Towards the end of the stem where it meets the keel line it will have a peak rather then a flat to install the bands. Even on the ends where the canoe will rise out of the water it seems the stems will have to be cheeked to flow from the planks to a 3/8 leading edge. Am I missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Bobbyblackcloud

Post by Bobbyblackcloud »

well i think you have to go to something that is alll 3/8 at least as long as the stem banding after that you can have the keel have a bit of the peak . faring is a visual thing it just has to look nice so you can blend and fit as you see fit . also good quailty stem banding has a radius back so i would make your stems and keel to match the banding you have . Don't forget that if you are adding epoxy to the the keel that you allow for the thickness of the epoxy. having had a stripper for years that get lots of abuse i would put epoxy on the keel even if it is just painted on. the keel takes most of your bumps and bangs .good luck