Do I need a keel?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Davesbuild

Do I need a keel?

Post by Davesbuild »

Hi All,

Just about to glass the outside of my 16'-2" Huron Cruiser.

I am considering if I need a keel or not. Is there any need for the keel other than protection of the bottom. From what I see in the design, it seems as though the HC doesn't really need one for maintaining a steady course.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanxs,
Davesbuild
Rick

Post by Rick »

Therer's no need for a keel. The odd canoe still built with a keel these days may need it to stiffen the hull, especially if it is flat-bottomed. Cedarstrip hulls made with 1/4 or 3/16 strips with an arched or rounded bottom will be plenty rigid and the bottom will not oilcan or bounce.

Protection from rocks is minimal with a keel, most of the scratches amidships will be away from the keel line.

A keel is said to provide straighter tracking in canoes. This might be true to some extent, OTOH, the water resistance that the keel creates when the canoe is not moving straight forward will actually slow your canoe down as the keel keeps straightening the course. This is not something you want with your fast and sleek Huron... work on those paddling strokes to keep the course straight. The Huron is a narrow-hulled canoe with little rocker and tracks fairly straight anyway.

Finally, a keel also adds on work and makes maintenance more difficult. On a cedarstrip, a keel can snag a rock and cause the sheathing to rip away from the cedar.

Hm, did I say that there's no need for a keel?

:wink