New Build Pics of Huron Cruiser

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

I like the pool noodle idea... it's cheap :laughing

I think that is the best thing that I've heard so far ..... I am hoping that the spokeshave will work on the very bottom (below the waterline).. but 60 - 80 grit on a pool noodle would work well above that I think...

I'll update more pics once the glass goes on...

Thanxs for the info,
Dave
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Don't forget to give your cabinet scraper(s) a try. They also work well on the inside.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Hi Guys (Gals),

I had my first experience with the glass / epoxy process. Using the EAST system epoxy. I had a couple of friends come over to help - it was not too bad, but would not suggest to try this by yourself - especially the first time!!!

Went well... no blush (and it was very humid, but comfortable temps).. I have lots of drips that I have scraped some of this morning.. the rest should sand out OK.

Do I need to leave the epoxy alone to cure for a week??

Can I take the canoe off of the mold to start fairing the inside (I have an extra 0 station mold to put in if I take it off the mold to keep the shape)?

Ive updated my pics.. see the bottom two pics here..
http://home.cogeco.ca/~hotrods/Canoebuild/

Davesbuild
willo

Post by willo »

Do not be in a rush to sand the epoxy. Until it is fully cured it is a dangerous compound. You can take the hull off the mould once the epoxy hardens and get working on the inside and glass it. I will even install the inwales and decks before i sand the epoxy.
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Thanks Willo...

The EAST system specs say that it can be sanded (sandable) in 12 hours, but it doesn't cure for 7 days, so I'm a little confused?? I was going to leave it for a week before sanding and taking it off the mold, just because I'm not sure. There is no reason that I have to take it off other than I am inpatient.. I could always start ripping the cherry for the gunwales, thwart and seats....

Thanxs Again.
Davesbuild
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

One nice reason to leave it on the strongback is that it is secure, won't rock, and at the proper height for sanding. It won't take long to sand the outside epoxy once you get after it.
:thinking
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

For health reasons, it's been reccomended to wait until full cure to sand.
I wait to sand, but often scrape runs an such before full cure.

If you wear a good filter, and cover your body, completely, it's your health !

I sand mine on the forms, it'll keep it's original shape better.

Also when I take the hull off the forms, I always leave the middle form in, and strap it in place while sanding the inside. Until I sand the middle. This will help keep it's shape .

Good Luck

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Understood about the health issues related to green epoxy... no question...

I am leaving the hull on the molds till Saturday for the epoxy to cure and not lose any of the shape of hull...particularly the tumblehome. I will also sand while on the strongback and held in-place by the molds. I will still use a dual filter mask when sanding, even after cure!

When I take the hull off the molds, I have a spare station "0" that I plan to bungie-cord into place while I fair the inside.

Many thanks... the hull looks good now - a few spots where there are series of runs, but other than that, it looks "consistent".

Davesbuild