to gap fill or not to fill

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

to gap fill or not to fill

Post by roger bebee »

Hello all
I am at the stage of filling gaps on my prospector and would appreciate a bit of advice. Any gaps that I have,I think are small as when I run my fingernail over most of them it bearly catches. I tryed to fill some of them using elmers wood filler paste and most of it either sanded out or fell out during sanding . Some spots left a dot-dash line along the seam or just a glue line. I dont really want to end up with a mess either from trying to match coloured epoxy or from out gassing during glassing. The area that I did try to fill left a fine dust after sanding that won't dry wipe or vacum off, I think I'll try a damp clothe on that area. Are most of these gaps even something I should bother with. Thanks for any advice
Roger Bebee
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Roger,
As Glen Smith told me, the little white spots are sanded glass dust pressed into the holes. He suggested I take a toothpick and/or toothbrush and wet out the area and then brush/pick out the dust. It worked great for me. The other issue of filling on not filling is whether or not you want it to show. If you fill the gaps with filler, it will end up a different color than the epoxy. Again, Glens recommendation is to fill wilh epoxy only or glass with expoy as a patch. If when your done with the clean up, and you wet out the area and the holes are transparent, you will not see them with a thin layer of new epoxy. Go to the Project Directories section under 17'-0"nomad and read his comments.
CYA, Joe
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Are most of these gaps even something I should bother with.
If a fingernail barely catches on the gaps, I wouldn't worry about them. Apply glass and epoxy but watch for any air bubbles forming at the gaps and make sure you reapply more epoxy if it soaks in.