Freedom 17 - Unveiled Yesterday

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bill Robb

Freedom 17 - Unveiled Yesterday

Post by Bill Robb »

Folks...

I unveiled my completed Freedom 17 yesterday. I was joined by family and friends, and I was quite proud to show off my handiwork.

Here's a link to pictures of the finished craft:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bill_canoe ... 269388528/

I would like to thank everyone on this forum who provided advice and information to me over the past 6 months. Your input is certainly appreciated.

But now however, I find myself at a loss. Since last November, I've always had something to do. Guess another canoe is in order? (Don't tell my wife I said that!)

Thanks again...

Bill
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice Bill! You did such a good job that you should try something different next time. Perhaps a kayak or a rowing skiff?
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Bill,

Outstanding - very nice work. I am sure that you will have just as big of a smile on your face every time you take her out on the water. Enjoy!

Snowman
Snowman back East
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Looks great Bill, congrats.
Bryan
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Excellent work! I really like the details on the bottom. Great finish. Enjoy!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Very nice canoe, Bill :applause :applause

I really like the detail on the bottom!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Thanks everyone for looking, and for your kind words...

To answer Glenn's question, I think I will take the summer to enjoy some tripping in my new canoe, then in the fall, I'd like to build the Enterprise plywood kayak.

Never really done any extensive kayaking before, so I am looking forward to this challenge - not only in building it, but using it when done.

Thanks again...

Bill

PS - I plan to post a few more pictures of my canoe on the official launch day!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Looks great! It's a very enjoyable canoe. What is your final weight?
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Hi Brian...

What timing! I was curious myself so I borrowed a bathroom scale tonight (before I saw your question) just to check. Not that the scale was professonal quality or anything, but my canoe appears to be coming in at 50 pounds sharp. I had a couple of buddies try it as well, and the weight was constant.

I don't have my own scale , and I was quite surprised to see that I seem to be packing some extra baggage myself. Guess some aggressive paddling and portaging is a neccessity for me this summer!

I'm happy with 50 pounds for the canoe. It's right in the ballpark I estimated.

Regards...

Bill
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

That's pretty light! I wish mine was that light.
Bladeforger

Post by Bladeforger »

Gorgeous!!! :applause :applause :applause
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

Hi Bill,

Looks awesome. I'm looking at building a Freedom 17 of my own. What did you do to keep the weight down to 50lbs? Others' seem to come out in the high 50s or 60s.

Adam
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

VERY nice Bill.

Enjoy your hard work!

Davesbuild
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Hello again...

Thanks again for everyone's kind words about my canoe. I had it out this summer on a total of six trips (of two to three nights). Despite being careful, I managed to meet up with more than one rock - so she ain't looking quite so pristime anymore. Fortunately, I never managed to get through to the glass (If anyone comments on the scratches, I tell 'em that they're legitimate battle scars!).

A couple of you have commented on the weight, and how did I manage to get to 50lbs?

To tell you the truth, I did nothing special - I wasn't aiming for any kind of finished weight. So what do I attribute the finished weight to? A couple of things:

I had a lot of trouble with glassing - it was my first time. So I expect that in sanding out bubbles, runs and orange peel, I ended up with three pretty thin coats on the outside. On the inside, same thing but it was two coats. Even so, she seems tough enough.

Secondly, I imagine that tapering both inner and outer gunnels, and lots of scuppers cut down on some weight. I also cut the decks back to minimum size.

Thirdly, there's only eight screws in it - holding the decks. The brass stem guards are expoxied on.

I said in an earlier post in this thread that I used a rinky-dink bathroom scale. Who knows, maybe it wasn't that accurate once it got past 250 lbs of combined weight! But I think it was close enough, and other experienced canoists (read that as portagers) who have carried my canoe this summer always said "Man, this is a light canoe!".

Hope I answered your questions, and thanks again...

Bill