17' 0" Nomad

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
loneeagle15

Post by loneeagle15 »

Thanks for the replies yes woodchuck I am building the Nomad I find myself drawn to the idea of a Nomad after buying my 1600 Nomad this summer love the way it rides so the canoe must handle and paddle just as well
Patrick's dad glad to see you still here I watched your redbird build when I first joined this forum (by the way beautiful canoe) and was originally going to build a Redbird but this last month I spotted the Nomad and had to change designs
Thanks again
Randy
On the other side of every fear is FREEDOM
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Randy... Although biased, good choice on the Nomad. I was going to buy another style but I was talking to the guy who cuts strips for Noah's in Toronto and when I described my desires, he advised the Nomad. I told him I wanted something that would handle my weight and that I would be using it for flatwater and fishing and that I intended to put on an Ama, outrigger, on it for stablity. He then said, go as big as you can hence the Nomad. I think it has great lines with a moderate upswing on the ends and the reviews via Bear Mountain Boats, set my choice. I am 6' - 1", 280# so the extra foot in length and a inch in width was easily justified. As far as the mold height is concerned, I made no changes and it was very comfortable to strip and I stepped on a plastic milk carton case when I struck the centerline and cut in the last few strips. Now that I'm working on the inside, I don't use the strongback as I made the "horses" with the carpet straps and that''s what she sits in now. Just use care when stripping around the junction of the stem and the hull. If you follow the Canoecraft book too close, you might have a problem. When the strips start to go horizontal from the vertical, the width of the three 1/4" pieces made up of the two 1/4" hull strips and the trimmed stem can easily exeed the 3/4" width of the outside stem if not careful. There are some photo's on my site and this forum with comments from Glen Smith who will be of tremendous help if you need it. I have dragged this project out over a couple of years already but I will have a launch next spring or early summer. Enjoy the work, it is rewarding...
CYA. Joe
:wink :wink :wink
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
loneeagle15

offsets

Post by loneeagle15 »

I was hoping that the table of offsets were included in the plans for the Nomad so that I could compare them to the drawings and use them in learning to loft.
Does anyone know where I can get a table of offsets for the Nomad?
On the other side of every fear is FREEDOM
DaveB1

Re: 17' 0" Nomad

Post by DaveB1 »

Hi Y'all, I ordered my plans and the book for the Nomad back in 2004. After making the strongback and stations, ripping cedar strips and ordering the router bits we decided to move. So.... long story short.... the strongback sat outside here in South Caroina for almost 7 years as the garage had been converted to living space.
I would go by the strongback 3-4 times a week and this year decided that this year I was going to make the canoe finally! Thank God I had used some Polyureathane on it so when we moved it inside( unfinished entertainment room) it was still in pretty good shape. Minor work on the legs and a few station blocks. I made all new stations and I just picked up my 5/4 Cypress. I saw some cabinets made out of Cypress and I thought it was very nice looking, plus at a price of $1.28 a board foot I couldn't go wrong.

Started to plane the boards yesterday.

Here is what I am going to do on my first canoe.

Body: Cypress
Accent Strip: Cedar
Inner Stems: Pine
Outer Stems: Cherry
Inner and Outer Gunwales: Cherry
Yoke: Cherry
Deck Plates : Cypress with a strip of Cherry
Seats: TBD

I have some Pecan Wood that has been rough cut so I decided to plane a few boards. What a nice looking grain. Looks like Spalded Maple. Wish I had enough to strip a canoe out of it.

I have the stems soaking, I know I could steam them but I'm in no hurry.

Pictures to follow.

Dave
South Carolina
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

I'm cutting out my station molds and is it safe to assume stations 1 and 2 are the same size?
Thanks Randy
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

No, stations 1 & 2 are not the same dimensions.
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Thanks I'm going to have to look at my plans again as I'm not seeing another section to make mold #2, the number is there but no reference line is maybe station 0 and 1 the same
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Sorry figured it out looked at the originals and noticed the green lines for station 2 didn't copy over
Thanks for your help
Randy
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

About to mount my molds and noticed my stem mold sits about 3/4" below the top of stem 7 am I correct to assume the inner stem is the reason why?
Thanks randy
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, the 3/4" difference is for the inner stem.
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

I don't know what went wrong
when I cut out the molds they were screwed together then sanded to the line with a 10" disc sander as a unit
My strong back is flat and level I took off the molds and layed them up to their counter parts and they match up
This dip is just on 1 side of the canoe not on the other it doesn't make sense to meany ideas?
Thanks Randy
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm not familiar with the Nomad but I gather from your post that it is a symmetric design. I'd suggest you pull out the offending form and it's conjugate pair at the other end of the canoe and lay them on top of one another. Are they really the same still? If they are, swap them and put them back on the strongback. Does the problem follow the form or stay in the same place on the strongback. Look closely what may be different between the two forms or sites.

Look closely also at the forms on either side of the the "short" form. Are they perhaps a bit high? You should be able to make a close measurement of their heights on the plans to see which is too short (or too tall?).

One other perhaps obvious comment. Make sure you have your forms on the correct side of your 2x2s and that you have mounted your 2X2 on the strongback in the proper places (the center of the center form should fall on the 1' mark. All other forms should have their outer face (closest to the stem) aligned with the 1' marks. If one of your forms were off a bit, it would appear to be out of fair.

When you're done with the science, if nothing becomes obvious, (as a last resort), consider a small shim below the low form to ensure it is aligned in a "fair" manner with the it's neighbor forms. But be sure to look at the forms for "fair" from multiple angles (not just along the keel line). Does the sheerline look fair too? Other places between the sheer and the keel?

good luck!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mrcanoehead

Post by mrcanoehead »

Hello,

I have been reading about stripping for a while and have finally taken the plunge. I recently purchased my plans for the Nomad and hope to get started on the forms or strongback in the next week. In the meantime I spoke with the friendly guy at the local sawmill and he said he can get me the western red cedar he even has some stuff in stock to show me. Before I run out and buy a lot of wood can anyone tell me if 18 ft strips will be long enough. And am I correct in assuming about 72 strips are required to complete the canoe?

Thanks

Chuck
Chuck

"Attitude + Power = Performance"
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

18' strips should be long enough for a 17' canoe.

72 strips sounds like enough but it depends on how wide they are... (but I always get a few extra just in case I don't like the looks of some of them). Extra get used up on various projects (e.g., building paddles).
You really can't have too many strips.... you'll need them on your next boat too (you can't build just one).

To calculate how many strips you would need (upper bound), measure the 'circumference' of the canoe amidship and divide by the strip coverage (i.e., width that each strip will cover accounting for the overlap of the bead and cove). You won't need that many because as you get to the football area, the strips will be shorter and eventually only half a strip or less will be needed.

make sense?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mrcanoehead

Post by mrcanoehead »

Makes great sense thanks. I guess I'll make sure that I order enough wood to be on the safe side.

Thanks
Chuck

"Attitude + Power = Performance"