Freedom symmetrical stems?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Adamv

Freedom symmetrical stems?

Post by Adamv »

I've lofted the bow and stern stems for the 17' Freedom. However, I'd like to use the shape of the bow stem for the aft as well. Would this give rise to any complications? I can't think of any.

Cheers,
Adam
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

I wouldn’t do it. This canoe has differential rocker that provides maneuverability and reasonable tracking. I think you will loose a great deal of tracking if you do what you propose. You will also likely run into some problems stripping as station 15 will no longer work.

Larry
Steve Killing

Post by Steve Killing »

Adam,
I hadn't, up until now, compared directly the shape of the bow and stern stems. If you mirror, rotate and lower the bow stem shape it almost matches the stern. With that many changes to the bow stem to get it to match the stern shape I am not sure what the benefit would be. You certainly shouldn't make the stern stem exactly the same as the bow stem - the underwater profile needs to be lower than the bow.

Regards,
Steve