60 inch cloth

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Richard

60 inch cloth

Post by Richard »

Hi,
I am trying to locate 60 inch wide cloth in the UK for my second build. My first build was a Peterborough and I was really pleased with the result, but joining the cloth down the keel line was difficult to say the least. For my Hiawatha I am determined to locate 60 inch cloth even if it means paying for shipping from North America.
Any help would be appreiated.
Merry Christmas everyone,

Richard (Wales U.K.)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Richard, The Hiawatha is a beauty though a bit less stable. It will do fine if you have your sea legs.

You can try these folks for wider cloth:
http://www.vonderlinden.de
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Glen,
I have contacted the German company you mentioned in the hope they will be able to supply the wider cloth. I also emailed the West importers for the U.K. and berated them for not supplying 60inch cloth. Their argument is, not enough demand. I think it is more a case of making do on the part of the builders.

Regards,

Richard
white_tail

Post by white_tail »

Richard,

How do you like your Peterborough? I am 90+ % complete on my Peterborough I have the gunwales and seats to complete.

Randy
Richard

Peterborough

Post by Richard »

Hi Randy,
Like is far too mild an adjective, I LOVE it. It handles like a dream and has plenty of carrying capacity for two with all their camping gear. The only change I would have made is to shave off some weight. It was my first build so I wanted it to be strong and to last. This in retrospect was a mistake. On and off roof racks and up muddy banks becomes difficult as the years roll on.
Take care with your inwhales, it's very tricky to to get the length perfect, but where they meet the inner stems there is usually a cover strip on the deck. ( Canoecraft design)
I scuppered mine and cut each scupper with a coping saw. I gave up on the router. One mistake and you could ruin the whole inwhale.
Take time with the seats and thwart, it's these things that make all the difference to the finished article.
All the best with your build, and have a great Christmas.
Richard
white_tail

Post by white_tail »

Richard,

Thank you for the advice, it's a project of something to do when I need something to do. I started the project with my son when he was in high school, he is now in his second year of college. I really enjoyed the father and son time. The tempature outside is 2 above zero F. so I am on hold with gluing etc... I am using purple heart and ash for the inter gunwales and stems. I need to purchase somemore purple heart. I want to make a matching pair bent paddles to match the canoe. Did you make your seats?

I have noticed that it seems that no one else is making a Peterborough and Ted has removed the plans from his lastest version of Canecraft, I wonder why?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Randy
Sorry to be so long replying but life has been hectic. Yes I did make the seats and wove the cane. The weaving was interesting at first but soon becomes laborious, however, you will have great satisfaction when it is finished. Personally I cannot imagine buying anything other than materials having spent so long on constructing such a beautiful form. You have to go the whole hog and complete it yourself. Sorry about the puritan rant but it is well worth it to complete a build without any commercial input.

Richard