Fibreglass problems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
maccatoga

Fibreglass problems

Post by maccatoga »

Hi Guys
I am close to finishing my first wood stripper, a 17' Nomad. I have 6 coats of varnish on the hull and I have noticed what look like white bubbles on the outer stem, the surface feels like little pimples. I believe it is the end of the fibreglass cloth reacting to something????
two questions
What do you think caused this?
What can I do to fix it?
Thanks
Macca
Macca
Rick

Post by Rick »

It could be air expanding ouf the wood and into the varnish. I have had this happen in other projects, when air temps happened to rise after varnishing... small white bubbles came out of the end grain.

Maybe a photo would identify the cause more reliably. The stems on canoes often become scuffed up by wear and tear with time, so this might not be as great a problem later on down the road.

If it were me, I'd probably sand off the imperfections, and re-apply epoxy and varnish, or varnish only, without allowing air bubbles to escape (if air bubbles actually are the source of the problem).
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

These are the common problems that most builders seem to have with Fibreglass/Epoxy. Sand, fill, smooth out- do what you have to.

I am building two more boats this spring/summer/fall, 16' prospectors. I am going to utilize fibreglass/epoxy only as needed. I find it so frustrating to work with. Messy, hazardous, bubbles, wrinkles, etc., etc....
I am planning on using stringers, ribs, canvas and nylon. Some epoxy will of course have to be used in some areas. However, I am hoping to concentrate on something that is more wood oriented, than fibreglassed.
I was told once by another builder that a wooden fibreglassed boat is essentially a plastic boat. While I do not fully agree with that assesment, I do see what he is getting at. While fibreglass/epoxy has it merits, mainly in the strength it provides, I am beginning to feel the drawbacks and problems are not worth it. I personally feel a more traditional approach to the build would be more satisfying, interesting, and, well traditional to older maritime methods.
I am interested in others thoughts on this, and discussing further. What do you guys think about all this?

Mark
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Rick

Post by Rick »

I also had problems with fiberglassing the first stripper... I applied the exterior sheathing at too low a temperature (even though the epoxy specs said it would be OK), the epoxy absorbed water (or blushed) and the fill coats would not bond. The entire hull had to be sanded down to the wet-out coat to remove the loose layers and then a new fill coat was applied. All this could have been avoided with a test panel, like Glen had been suggesting in other threads.

Having learned the hard way, the interior sheathing went like a dream and I was happy with the results.

The next canoe built will also be a stripper. The more traditional cedar and canvas canoes have some appeal, but the lightness combined with good looks and ease of repair that strippers allow, make matching the build to your exact needs more possible. This isn't always available in commercially-produced boats.

If you are building with other techniques, please post on how things are going... good luck!
maccatoga

Thanks Guys

Post by maccatoga »

I think I will sand back to the ash outer stem and revanrnish - not both about the glass. I will keep a close eye on how it wears.

I do find working with fibreglass scary and frustrating... and not to have to deal with it would be ideal. I like the idea of the more traditional approach, working with wood and no fibreglass at all.

Lots of questions spring to mind around
maitenance, strength etc....

Food for thought

Cheers
Macca
Macca
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

My other techniques for my next builds will consist of:

Set up strongback
Cut and set up the Molds (A Bear Mountain 16' Prospector)
Set up stems, and keel
set up 3 stringers on each side of the boat
set up ribs on the inside (every 6 inch)
lay a floor in the centre
canvas/nylon the exterior
waterproof and paint.
Finish the trim/ inside details.

Ceck out the last two issues of Wooden Boat Magazine (Building a Solo Carry). That is basically the plan I have in mind in terms of the build process. I will go with a canvass covering (as opposed to Nylon, as this method requires polyurethane) if all works out well.
By summer of 2010 I plan to have built 3 of them- One for myself, and two for wedding presents. All spring/summer/fall builds. I a tired of working in a cold, dark and cramped garage. That is the working plan for now

So, guys, it gets pretty quiet around here- how about some boat building discussion. Thoughts on history, traditions, methods, etc..... The forum is great for those one of specific technical questions. I am hoping to get a broader discussion going here about the pro's/ cons and other alternatives. There must be a wide range of opinion out there.

For example, I have seen a few Haitian vessels built entirley of scrap/garbage, and with the most basic of tools. These are seaworthy boats. They may not have the "perfect" look of a nice new glassed boat, but they are entirley efficient in use of materials, most are seaworthy, and the builders have to be flexible and creative in their craft. As opposed to many of us who seem to stick to the same rigid method, over and over again. And hit the roof when something doesn't look like we want it to, or doesn't work out how we expect it. I have been there and done that. No longer. It is not worth it in the end- it takes far to much out of the experience. Sure you may get what many consider to be a "perfect" boat- but the cost in nerves, and following strict rules and methods take out too much fun. So much so that I don't think it is worth it.

So, thoughts guys? Any one want to wade into an in depth discussion here on the philosophies of boat-building?

Mark :wink
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Mark, I am also interested, to a certain degree, in alternative building methods. Have you seen the method used by Platt Monfort? http://www.gaboats.com/

I have breathing problems when working with epoxy so I might give skin on frame kayak construction a try.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Those look like some interesting, and light weight boats. Sorry to hear about the breathing problem. Do you suspect it could be from longer term exposure to epoxies? Just curious.

Mark
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I suffer from emphyzema and CPOD and the lung specialst said I should never work with cedar, epoxy and varnish, all toxic materials. Does he want me to just die from boredom?