My Cold Garage

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
tptbum

My Cold Garage

Post by tptbum »

Hi all,

My canoe has been on hold for two years since we bought a new house. I am not exactly "done" with the task list that came with the house, but it is high time I take up my preferred project again.

My problem is that my old house had a really nice heated workspace - the new house has an unheated two car garage.

My plan is to work on the yoke and seats which I can do some in the cold and some in the basement, put off the stripping until the weather breaks at least a little (march??).

My question is what solutions have you folks come up with for garage heat??

I have a smallish torpedo heater and a propane heater that is probably not suited for the garage. But I am finding that a 20 lb tank of propane gets me about 10 hours of 50 degree garage in January.

Any ideas?

john
SE Michigan
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi John,
You've had a cold winter in Michigan! Are you receiving the tropical temperatures we are getting on the prairies right now? (It will have been up over 0C for nearly a week by the time it turns cooler.)

Lots of us have similar issues (with respect to time & temperature) and it has been discussed a few times here.

For example, check out: On my blog I describe how I dealt with a cool garage:
http://pawistik.blogspot.com/2006/02/de ... leted.html

Cheers,
Bryan
tptbum

Thanks Bryan!

Post by tptbum »

Fortunately the nasty nasty cold is over for the time being . . . it's supposed to nearly reach 0 C later this week!

Thank you for the links to the other posts. I had assumed that the topic had been covered many times - but my searching came up empty.

Your own solution looks like something I had considered doing, but somehow in my mind the tent around the boat looked bigger!

Thanks again for the info.

John
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

I am in the same boat John. I live in Grayling
My garage is not big enough to rip and mill strips with the garage door down. so i rip in the cold .i have a propane can heater that i use to warm up the fingers. I have a basement with a walk out so i have been building the boat downstairs and milling when i have to in the garage. Its not 10 below any more but 20 above isnt warm either. I hope to sell my house this year and build another on some acreage that i have and this time i am building a 30x 50 shop with attic trusses and 2 leantwos on each side heated with an outdoor wood boiler. The shop is going to bigger than the house!! The wife is ok with that too. :eyebrows
Brad