fishing line method

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

fishing line method

Post by podunk »

I'm building my first canoe, a Ranger, and would like to go stapleless. the fishing line method seems intrigueing. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas and or links. I have not been able to find much on it.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Perhaps you should attempt to contact this fellow:
schappy wrote::wink Steve Chapman from Sunset Wooden Boats. I developed the fishing line process back in 2003 and first used it on a resotule. I had an article published in May/June issue of Wooden Boat Magazine. I have been teaching this technique at Lee Valley Tools in London for the last 3 years with Great response from my students. The Fishing line method works well for me, try it. I think it will work for you too.
Keep on Paddling, Steve
Edited: his username is schappy if you want to PM him.
podunk

Post by podunk »

Thanks Glen. Since i posted this I've figured out the search function and have found more than enough info to keep me busy for a while. I've built my strongback and lofted my molds from Canoecraft and will cut them out in the next few days. then its off to find some cedar.
Paddle on the Crow

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

I am curious about this method too, but havent been able to find anything. Has anyone found any links that describes this?

Thanks,
POTC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Rick in Pender Harbour has used this method and may be able to fill you in, you could send him a PM. Find his post at this link and click on his photo links for an idea of how it works: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... shing+line