She's Done 16' Prospector

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Stencil

She's Done 16' Prospector

Post by Stencil »

Well about a year after begining I'm done. A bit of sweat, a fair amount of frustration and a little perseverance. Was it all fun? No. Was it worthwhile? An unequivocal yes. The anticipation prior to the first paddle stroke --- I was like a kid at Christmas. And she paddles like a dream. So I would like to offer a sincere and heartfelt thankyou to all the people who answered my questions and calmed my fears especially the tireless Mr. Smith. You are the nicest group of people I have never met.
May your paddles be wet and your matches dry. Thanks again.
S[/code]
Last edited by Stencil on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bravo! But in your state of excitement, you didn't post the photos.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Yeah Photos I tried and tried and tried and the more intelligent half tried and I gave up. Do you have to submit pics from a hosting site or is it possible direct from screen to you?
S
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

They have to come from a host.
Rick

Post by Rick »

A great canoe with beautiful lines... all the best for your time spent paddling!
Stencil

Picture

Post by Stencil »

I fixed the link for you.

She is a true beauty!
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

Gorgeous boat! You can rightfully be very proud of your efforts. What wood did you use? I don’t envy you portaging though. That portage in the background looks like a killer! :shocked

Larry
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Used western red cedar harvested locally. Birch gunwales. Came in at 51 pounds. As to the "portage" in the backround ---- there is one mile of vertical relief from valley to top and though I have been up and down many times the boat is going to have make do with the view from the bottom.
S
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Beautiful canoe and beautiful view from the bottom. I hope you enjoy both.
Don

Beauty

Post by Don »

Hi
Nice job on the canoe. The backdrop looks familiar -- if you don't mind, which valley is it and, if it is where I think, where did you find liquid water?
enjoy
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Kootenay valley. Spring-fed pond freezes only in the coldest weather and always opens again.
S
Denis

WOW

Post by Denis »

Nice boat and nice scenery!!! Must be tough to paddle in conditions like that!!!

:applause

Denis
Don

Post by Don »

Hi
Thought that was likely where -- I have a nice view of the Bull River drainage from my place. Would like to see the boat in real life sometime if you are interested in showing it off. I also have a few strippers if a paddle interests you.
best
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Around here, any places that look that nice are on private property!
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Nice canoe, well done. I good choice for the area I think. I'm not sure exactly where you're located, but the rockies and semi-arid grassland are pretty distinctive. I"m hoping to have a paddle just north of you this summer, with a bit of luck and good timing.

cheers