Cockpit coaming

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
smithn00

Cockpit coaming

Post by smithn00 »

I was going to use the method of cockpit construction shown in the book until I tried to bend the thin pieces over the contour of the deck. Now I think I will check out the recessed method. Some questions: 1. How is the outer shape of the recess determined? 2. Are the strips of the recess just laid across the opening and glued or fitted to the inside of the opening and glued?
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi There,
The shape & size of the recess are determined by the shape of the boat and the depth and profile of the recess. It seems common to slope the recess from the peak of the foredeck just in front of the cockpit rim to a low point at about your hips or the seat, then curving back up to the aft deck, ending a few inches behind the cockpit. I think the shape and the length of the recess behind the cockpit will depend on how high the aft deck is right behind the cockpit. With a high aft deck you'd likely extend the recess a bit farther back.

Yes, the normal method is to lay strips across the opening, fitting them in so that the top of the strip alignes with the top of the cut edge. Of course, you don't have to fill in the entire opening.

My blog post about stripping the recess: http://pawistik.blogspot.com/2006/03/co ... ipped.html

Cheers,
Bryan
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

About cutting the hole: http://pawistik.blogspot.com/2006/02/bo ... in-it.html

Later, after glassing the deck, then cutting the cockpit hole, and installing the cockpit riser (1/8" birch plywood):