To Keel or not to keel...... that's the question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Dennis of Douglas

To Keel or not to keel...... that's the question

Post by Dennis of Douglas »

Good day all,
We have been planing and ripping cedar for the last three days for my 30' canoe. Hope to be ready to b&c tomorrow!! Looking ahead... I think that we will add keel(s) to the canoe. What d'ya'll think about the addition of keels, outside only, or in and ouside keels? What would you suggest as the best fastening method? Any suggestions?

Another quick question: what are you using for screws, brass, SS? has anyone tried the coated deck screws?

Thanks,
Dennis of Douglas
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've never built a canoe with a keel.

I'd hate to run screws through a hull I wanted to keep waterproof. So I guess I'd glue the keel to the outside, over the glass, and maybe add a fillet of thickened epoxy, where the keel meets the hull.

As for screws, I always hide mine under the outwhale, but Use Stainless anyway.
Your going to alot of trouble building a boat, don't scimp on the screws.

Titebond of any knid is fine.

That's my two cents worth !

Good luck !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Why a keel? If your design is good, why would it be needed?

For big strip built canoes, visit http://kisseynewcanoecompany.com
That's me in the stern of Kisseynew's Ste. Anne.

Cheers,
Bryan
Rick

Post by Rick »

For a modern canoe, a keel is likely to result in more trouble than it's worth, unless the intent is to stiffen the hull. It will not provide much protection from rocks since many will still scratch the hull outside the keel line. Modern designers generally acknowledge that keels aren't needed and can actually degrade canoe performance.

Might be different for the needs of a thirty-foot canoe. OTOH, a keel still might result in increased labor during construction, and greater maintenance labor since the keel will have to be removed and replaced if the hull needs to be repaired underneath. I'd leave it out unless there were clear benefits from adding a keel on.
Dennis of Douglas

Post by Dennis of Douglas »

Good day.. thanks for the replies!! The reason for considering a keel is that the canoe will be used on a Salmon river with both shallow bars and deep pools. I was thinking it would be for protection as well as for stiffening the hull to prevent it from flexing ehwhen under power.

Regards, Dennis