epoxy and 4 oz glass

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
purple otter

epoxy and 4 oz glass

Post by purple otter »

I just glassed the deck of my resolute this morning .I used 4 oz cloth ,and it looks like 2 coats of epoxy will bury it.Is 2 enough or would you guys recomend 3.Any help would be great.I will try to post some pictures. :thinking
ruso

Post by ruso »

I just ordered 3.2oz glass from Raka and was told that 1 coat would probably fill the weave. I imagine in your case that 2 would be plenty

Ruso
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Though two coats will fill the weave, I use a third coat with 4 oz. glass so that the possibility of sanding into the weave was diminished. If you do sand into the weave, that spot will show through your varnish.

Just a thought.
Sparky

"Those who the gods wish to destroy
they first make angry"
purple otter

Post by purple otter »

Thanks guys for the input.I just finished the second coat of epoxy and i think it will be enough.The first coat almost burried the cloth so tis coat covered great
.I faired and sanded by hand so I shouldn't have to sand the epoxy much because it's pretty flat.Thanks again!