Canoe value estimate needed

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
edmontonian

Canoe value estimate needed

Post by edmontonian »

Hi All,

I have almost completed a Prospector canoe. It will be raffled off for a charitable donation to provide assistance to Albertan's working in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission rules state a fair market value of the auctionable or raffled item must be provided to the AGLC before a license can be granted for any charitable initiative.

Can somebody please give me an approximate value of a cedar strip canoe, cart blanche?

The build includes the following components:
- 16 foot Prospector canoe
- western red cedar hull with a yellow cedar accent stripe near the sheer line and on the outside of the football, plus 2 yellow cedar strips closing the centre of the football.
- gunwales include 74 walnut scupper blocks on solid maple inwales and tapered tiger maple outwales. All scupper blocks are rounded over with a 1/8 inch router bit.
- 12 inch solid walnut decks
- Martin Step-designed Green Valley mortised and tenoned solid maple seats with natural rattan cane and 4 coats varnish
- Laurie Kelly-created maple and walnut composite "Shadow" yoke, 4 coats varnish
- Maple inner stems, walnut outer stems
- Lacquered, brass stem bands
- 3 coats flagship varnish, interior
- 4 coats flagship varnish, exterior
- 2 laminated cedar shaft, walnut, and maple paddles with birds-eye maple bobble grips, 4 coats varnish
- 2 pfd's

We really need this value estimate to obtain the license from the AGLC. Any input for valuing would be most appreciated. Build pics can be found at www.lhbc.ca. Look in galleries and then canoe pictures. Click on the picture present and photos come up.

Would asking $3500-$4000 be asking too much or too little?

Sincerely,

John Hidber
edmontonian
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

I have no idea about the value of the canoe, but thank you for putting in all the hard work for a good cause! That is priceless! :applause
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I believe your canoe would be worth as much as this one: http://www.canadiancanoes.com/BoatsForSale.php or perhaps a bit more. Do not underestimate the value of your craftsmanship.
edmontonian

Post by edmontonian »

Hi Glen,

The AGLC (Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission) agreed to a $5000 maximum value. To expedite the process, this price was agreed upon. If we did not agree to this value, we would have needed a professional estimation of value and this would have taken time to obtain, and time was something we did not have.
Starting from July 21st, we had 40 days to complete all sales. On August 28th, the final tickets were sold. These tickets were audited by a team of three and locked away inside an officially certified raffle tumbler. On August 30th, the draw was held at Laurier Heights Baptist Church. Ticket #631 was named the winner and Mr. Willy Pumphrey claimed his prize of: 1 Prospector cedar strip canoe, 2 composite paddles, 2 life jackets, and 1 car top carrier. More information and pictures about the build can be found at www.lhbc.ca
Over $10000 was raised for the STEP Bolivia kids in Cochabamba, Bolivia. All of the funds raised go directly to assisting kids who live in prison with their mom's.

Thanks so much to our ticket sales volunteers, the raffle committee, my beautiful wife who allowed me to complete this wonderful project, and the Bear Mountain Boats forum staff and contributors making this whole project over 19 months such a fantastic success.

God bless you all! :applause

edmontonian
John Hidber
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is great! Bravo for the results and for your involvement in this project.