varnish choice in the uk

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Steve

varnish choice in the uk

Post by Steve »

Hi All, I am nearing the completion of my freedom 15 (now 16) but am having trouble sourcing a suitable varinsh in the uk, to go over the west system epoxy, any idea's guys (&gals)
Steve
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You might try this link: http://www.marineware.com/. They carry Epifanes clear gloss spar varnish which is my top choice. Let me know if that doesn't work out for you.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Glen,
Thanks for a fast reply, which product is it that i would need? as some of them state that they are to be used above the water line only?
I have even seen a well known yatch varnish advertised elsewhere that states NOT FOR MARINE USE ! ! that one made me laugh, I can tell you
Steve
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The one I named is what you need. Spar varnish is not intended for below the waterline as pertains to boats that remain in water for long periods of time such as yachts or large sailboats. For canoes and kayaks, it is the perfect choice.