Regular Epoxy for outer stems?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Selwyn

Regular Epoxy for outer stems?

Post by Selwyn »

I'm ready to install my outer stems but my West System kit hasn't arrived yet. So I was thinking of using regular epoxy (the stuff from HomeDepot) but thought I would post and see if anyone would know if it will be safe to use or will the West system react with the dried regular epoxy.
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Home Depot epoxy will probably be OK if it is really epoxy... most of the bonding area for fiberglass will be on the wood that's been sanded down.

I did not find polyester resin to be very good in gluing wood pieces together so if the HD epoxy is actually that and being marketed as epoxy, maybe it's best not to use it.... the label should show what the HD "epoxy" actually is.
Selwyn

Post by Selwyn »

There are 2 tubes one says resin and one says hardener.
Rick

Post by Rick »

There's no info, phone number, website on the packaging?

It'll probably be OK, test on two pieces of hardwood for bond strength if you want to be sure.
Selwyn

Post by Selwyn »

Thanks rick. The only other info I found is that it contains Epoxy resins, polyamide resins, and amine curing agents.