Thickness of station molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
bert304

Thickness of station molds

Post by bert304 »

Is there a reason you use 1/2 plywod for the station molds? I can get my hands on some 3/4 cabinet grade plywood for free.
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

I'd use it. You can't beat free. I used 5/8ths particle board. Just be aware of the thickness of your forms when you're setting everything up. Due to a few minor deviations from standard my 15' Hiawatha is actually 15' 6". I'm sure there are a lot of things you can use free 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for. The forms don't necessarily need to be a nice grade.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I always use 3/4 ply.
In my mind, I think it warps less.
I'd use it if I had it !
Good Luck
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
bert304

Post by bert304 »

ok thanks I was thinking of using it because of the same reason it would warp less and because I am going with the stapleless method it will give me some thickness to screw the cleats in to
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

The thickness of the forms should never make a difference since it is the edge of the form that is used in measuring for setup. I suppose the thicker the better so long as you take into consideration the width of the stems and also subtract for the thickness of the forms when attaching other forms to the stem forms.
bert304

Post by bert304 »

right I would set the the number 6 mold then check where the stem mold would be. I thought all the molds are spaced 12" apart on center?
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Bert304,
I think you center the zero station mold, and then go 12" to the outside edge of the next frame from that center point. And then outside edge of form to outside edge of form.

But don't take my word for it. I discovered my 2003 version of Canoecraft says my Hiawatha should be 15' 1.5" long. While other sources just said 15'. I built from the book so I assume if I did it all exactly like the book my canoe should be 15' 1.5" long. My canoe is 15' 6" long. My original stem design added a couple of inches to each end, and I think I accidentally added the thickness of my center 5/8" form to the front end of my Hiawatha, thereby making it one of those asymmetrical hydrodynamic wonder canoes that should paddle easier.
:laughing