Router Bit Recomendations/Favorites

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jpowers123

Router Bit Recomendations/Favorites

Post by jpowers123 »

I was looking for some input on favored router bits for doing the bead and cove. I see I have three choices of configurations and many more choices of manufacturer. Looks like the bead and cove comes in a stacked bit, which has the two cutters close together but seems to cost the least. I have found a company called MLCS that makes both a stacked bit where the two cutters are a single shape and one where they are spaced on the shank. Lastly, looks like Freud and a few others make separate bits for both the flute and bead. Noah's sells a set made by Craftex that seems to be the cheapest and is two separate bits. What is the general concensus about this important part of the strip making process. Thanks for your help.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

This has been a topic of discussion many times in the past. It's one that has as many opinions as we have members. One thing I think most will agree with is that the 5/16" bead & cove bits work best for 1/4" strips. Another is that the 1/2" shank is stronger and less likely to bend or break than the 1/4". Since I bought mine before all the talk, I bought the 1/4" shank, 1/4" bits. So far so good. I opted for the individual bits. Mine came from Newfound and they only had 1/4" bits. If I ever replace them I will get the 5/16" bits. I've used strips from both size bits and prefer the 5/16".
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

So what is the advantage of the larger bit?
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Can't tell you about the larger size, but I've been real pleased with the Freud 1/4 carbide with the 1/2 inch shank. So far I've cut strips for a Bob's, a Rice Lake and a trailer.They are still very sharp and ready for the next project!
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the info. I am thinking of getting the Freud 99-017 and 99-018 bits to do the job. I assume that is what you have. I would be interested to know what benefit using the 5/16 bits on 1/4" strips would be.