Merton's Fiberglass Cloth

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
1st timer

Merton's Fiberglass Cloth

Post by 1st timer »

I just received 6oz fiberglass cloth from Merton's Marine Supply. The guy that took my order said that they never roll the cloth to ship it. They just fan fold it and package it in craft paper. He assured me that the fan folds would flatten out and not cause any problems when glassing. I draped the cloth over the hull and smoothed it out using a natural bristle brush. The cloth is smoothed out however the weave in the folded areas stand out as visible. I am wondering if these areas will become invisible when wet out with epoxy (west system). Does anyone have experience with this sort of scenario? I know Canoecraft says not to buy cloth that is not rolled. Thanks.
borinn

folded glass

Post by borinn »

I was recently at an antique show and an old cedar canvas canoe there had been fiberglassed and painted. the fold lines in the glass were very evident. after seeing that, I will never use folded glass

borinn
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

well 1st timer,

having bought and unpacked it, I guess you 'd give it a try.
If the folds wouldn't keep laying flat, a small trick is (after having aplied epoxy, and squeegeed) to let it dry for 2 hours and push it down in that very-early green stadium. It will hardly be tacky, but the epoxy will glue to the bottom.

I wouldn't be afraid for the outside, but I fear for glassing of the inside of the hull with that glass. (I have had the same experience)
Rod Tait

Folded cloth

Post by Rod Tait »

Personally I would never use cloth that was folded having the same experinece as others who have posted. The cloth may lay flat and wet out nicely, but it may be raised slightly and become exposed when you sand the hull. I know many suppliers fold their cloth and tell to the purchaser not to worry that it will come out, but it it is not their hard work that has gone into the boat.