Halt for the winter

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim Eastman

Halt for the winter

Post by Tim Eastman »

Had to halt for the winter due to temps and shop space (lack of). Due to unemployment and other factors the Freedom just couldn't get done this year and the hull and strongback has been raised to the trusses in the garage. (legs removed from the strongback so we don't crack our heads open.)

Too cold to safely glass, and the wood glues like to operate above 50°. So has anyone else been halted and stymied by the weather this year? :crying
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Since I'm building in my basement in dry and sunny Kansas the weather is not a factor. But my project is on hold due to money problems preventing me from buying the glass and epoxy I'll need to continue. So I've got a while to make my seats while I wait for my economic situation to improve. :embarassed
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Right now I wish I hadn't left my previous house with the open basement and easy egress straight up the stairs and out the door. Back then, I was able to build my canoe in year-round comfort.

However, in our present house, I am struggling to make progress on my Expedition Sport kayak (One Ocean). I am building in a two-car garage, but need to share space with a car, four bikes, snowblower, my cedar canoe, a purchased kayak, miscellaneous sport equipment, etc, etc. There is barely room left for the kayak-in-progress and some woodworking tools.

Work and family schedule have left very little time for boat bulding. I am FINALLY ready to start laying strips, but, now I am concerned about falling temperatures here in southeast Michigan. I have a kerosene heater, but soon that will not be sufficient. Does this mean that I will need to work on house repairs all winter? OH NO!!!

Jeff
willo

Post by willo »

Tim you just had to mention weather! I have been waiting for the rain to stop around here so I can get started with the endeavour. Finally ripped up 60 bd/ft today.Hopefully the weather will co-operate and I can plane and edge them on my next days off. I don,t keep my shop heated but untill there is frost nin the ghround I can heat it up when I need to. I just need to get these strips done working out side.Snow is coming !
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Yes,... Jeff. You need to do home repairs now. I cannot help you there! :laughing
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

Im just the opposite. I wont start building until the winter. I am still trying to get my garage/ shop ready for winter. I am sheating the ceiling with O.S.B running baseboard heat and there is still organizing to do as far as the shop is concerned. Hopefully I will start building by the first of the year. last winter i built in the basement and the wife was a bit disgruntled with the dust. I knew there was a way to get my shop. :wink
Brad
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Brad we are seriously considering that. If we weren't both out of work we'd probably be doing the exact same thing. (shelling in and insulating the garage I mean)
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~