shimming molds?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
grosmatelot

shimming molds?

Post by grosmatelot »

HellO!
Encountering a problem attaching the first planks onto my molds. The first planks on both sides are mounted, they are perfected leveled, and the curves are fair. HOwever, on one side at my bow the plank doesn't touch the sixth (and final) station mold. The mold is about 1/8'', or slightly more, off the fair curve of the plank. As such, if I were to press the strip against the mold my curve doesn't look right.

It's a little frustrating because everything up until now has been perfectly leveled, plummed, measured... The three other points where the plank ends meet are in line. The two number 6 molds were cut at the same time so they are identical, and the one is perfect so I don't think it's a miscut, or mismeasurement. If I were to remove the mold and slide it over, the other side would be off.

Maybe the gap can be filled somehow? Maybe the gap can be left on one mold? That'S probably not advisable, so I'm not really sure where to go, short of taking several steps backward and remeasuring.

Any ideas appreciated...

Cheers!
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I've never heard of this problem before so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

If you are absolutely sure the molds are correct, the position of the mold must be off a fraction. What I think I would do in this situation is to move the mold toward the bow until the mold touches both strips and the strips are still fair. It may not take much, 1/4" or so. It is very important to have the strips against the molds.

Shimming the mold might not be the best idea because it may not need shimmed all the way from sheer line to keel line. Determining where to stop the shim would be tough. Plus, it could cause the hull to have a different shape on each side.

Like I said, take this suggestion with a grain of salt. Maybe another more experienced builder will have a better suggestion. Good Luck.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Salut grosmatelot, did you use a string-line to make sure all forms were well lined up?

I have seen the same problem you are having on a few occasions. Once, it was a stem form that was warped to one side throwing out the alignment. Another time, all forms were properly set up except one stem form was not perfectly aligned with the keel-line. Another one I have seen is the #6 form slightly tilted left and right.

Do not install any strips until you are 100% satisfied with the form alignment or you will always have to compensate for it later and you could end up with a canoe that has a crooked nose. :frightened

Forget the "grain of salt", mtpocket gives good advice.
willo

Post by willo »

A source of problems at station 6 is often to be the inner stem. If not shaped right the plank might be held out at station 6. Just a thought.
grosmatelot

Post by grosmatelot »

Had a short hiatus forced on me, not ideal when I want to deal with mold gaps! Got back to it this morning, pushed the stem mold back about 3/8'' and things are looking much better. Thanks for the input guys!