Current Forum Statistics- please read!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Glen Smith

Current Forum Statistics- please read!

Post by Glen Smith »

Over the past 3 years we have received 2399 applications for membership in the Bear Mountain Forum. These were all verified and only 604 were approved for membership.
That is roughly 25% approval.

So, if any of you wonder what keeps me busy, well now you know. :laughing
roger bebee

Post by roger bebee »

Wow, now I really feel lucky to be in. Thanks for all the hard work and great advice Glen

Roger :applause
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

What are the requirements and why all the rejections?
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

In brief: when I receive a notification of a new application, I verify if the applicant's email is valid and if he (she) is a know spammer. I use up to 6 different software programs to do the verifying. If the applicant is clean, he (she) is approved. If a spammer, applicant is banned. If doubtful, application is placed on hold for further verification at a later date.
I keep an Excel file of all applicants which I must keep up to date.
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

I didn't realize there were that many spammers! Thanks for your work, Glen, it is appreciated by all that build strippers.
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Just trying to keep this a clean and enjoyable Forum for all the members.
David James

Post by David James »

Thanks for keeping up this site Glen. During these cold winter months when I can't be out in the garage glueing strips I can at least check in here and get some kind of a canoe building fix...!

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Glen, A note of thanks for this aspect of your many contributions to this forum. It's good to know that we're always safe from those aluminum power boat guys!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've totally enjoyed this site !!!!
Glenn, You've done a great job ! You are a credit to the boat building world !
Thanks
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Denis

very interesting

Post by Denis »

Hi Glen et al

I was just looking over a friends site (he hosts a commercial site) and in his forum area it is deluged with spam from the looks of it. Will have to chat with him about it if I can ever catch up with him.

It is refreshing to log in here and only see topics of interest to those of us who dabble in canoe and kayak building.

Keep up the good work Glen and have a very safe and happy new year one and all

Denis
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Thanks Glen. I know how much work it is. I had a forum set up on my web site and it created so much work each day to keep up with the spammers and automatic bots that register, that I shut it down. I just did not have the patience for it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Glen, i'm sure I speak for all members on this side of the pond.

Great site, helpful people and a great place to see how others create wonderful functional objects out of bits of wood.
I met an Austrian on a sailng holiday in Greece, and guess what he was reading?"Canoecraft" Needless to say we shared a few beers.
Long may it continue.

Richard
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

I was completely unaware of the workload required to safe-guard the well-being of a forum such as this. I had no idea that the percentages were that high.

I can only echo the sentiments noted above. You do an excellent job and it is appreciated by all who contribute and profit from this site. It compliments your wizardry in building and design...

Best regards,

Snowman
Snowman back East
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Glen,

The applications seem to have slowed a bit since the spammers and the bots are being turned away. I count 398 applications for the past 12 months. You are doing all the work. I just sit by and watch. You're in the drivers seat and you are doing a great job.

This forum has been a wonderful tool for us to meet other builders all around the world and has been instrumental in many of our projects for learning aspects of building we didn't fully understand while reading the various books. It also gives us the opportunity to see other projects so we can get ideas for our future projects.

I thank you for all your efforts to keep this forum clean and safe. I thank Joan and Ted for keeping this forum on the net and I want to thank all the members for the wealth of knowledge they are willing to share.
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Glen,
In discussions with others, I have used the Bear Mountain Boats Forum as a shining example of what the internet was intended for! It is a pure forum for boat building only.
I appreciate the time you spend to make it that way, all of the builders/contributors, and of course BMB for hosting.

Jeff