Seat lacing materials

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
pumpkin

Seat lacing materials

Post by pumpkin »

For seat lacing, I know that rawhide and plastic cane are the usual materials. I was wondering if anyone has used other materials like parachute cord or thin braided flat lace? I know it can be done but I am wondering how they fair in the long term? Tension, etc.

Matthew
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Try <www.snowshoe.com> I believe that's the web address. They're out of Minnesota. I've used their 1/2in nylon for years. It will out last your canoe ! Don't stretch it tight as when you saturate it with varnsh, it will shrink a little and harden.
Good Luck
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
sedges

nylon cord seats

Post by sedges »

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/s ... e_seat.jpg

This seat is 25 years old and has seen hard use throughout its life.

3/16 inch braided nylon in a modification of a Belgian chair weave.

I bleach it occasionally and apply fabric softener, too. It seems to keep it pliable.
Aljo

belgian chair weave

Post by Aljo »

Sorry to bump the thread, but I really like the Belgian chair weave, would you be so kind to post something about how to do it, or if you maybe have a relevant link with how to in structions. I tried to search on the net, but could not find it.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Welcome Aljo. Bump away. I like the belgian weave also. Hopefully sedges can help us out.

sedges: From the look of the rope and your use of fabric softener I am assuming that the rope is not varnished. I was looking at Samson 3/16 braided nylon cord yesterday. What would a rough guess on length to do an average seat be? It seems to me that the cord could be bought in spools up to 1000 feet.
sedges

picture of bottom

Post by sedges »

Not varnished.

Pasted below is a copy of an old post. Finding instructions for belgian chair weave would not be helpful as chair makers use hardware hooks on the bottom of the seat to route the cord back over the top. My weave method is hardware free. Directions would be crazy to produce and besides that I plan to market these seats again when I am retired. I will post the picture of the bottom of the seat for you folks to figure it out yourselves. When I was on a roll weaving seats I could weave one in 45 minutes.

This probably isn't the best picture, but you ought to figure it out anyway. It took me a couple of tries. It takes about 100 feet of 3/16 braided nylon to weave a standard seat, so its not cheap. They will probably out last the canoe, however. When I was making a lot of these seats I bought the cord in 2000 foot spools and brought the cost down a lot. If you intend to build or repair a lot of seats a spool is worth it. Look around for a rope wholesaler.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/s ... seat_2.jpg
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Pictures are great. I was trying to figure out the bottom side wrap. Cool. Hope you don’t mind I pirated your pictures. I will delete if you do. Thank you!

Do you work with 1 strand all of the way around? Or work with 2 by folding the rope in half and work from there around using 2 strands as you go?

Matthew
sedges

Post by sedges »

one strand.

I measure off about 50 feet and work with that and then work in a second when I run out. Working with 100 foot piece was too cumbersome and slow.

Good luck.

I figure that it is not reproducible with a machine so competition should not be an issue.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Thank you, I spotted the second splice and was wondering. When I need to control a wire or rope like that I use cable ties or binder clips to help keep things tidy. Nice seats.

I am hoping to fill the last half of the winter getting my forms mounted and seats and accessories done so that when temps get up to 40F I can get busy stripping. My shop is not heated, I have about a 2 hour limit lately before I freeze up. My wife says when my water glass freezes over that's enough, so having an indoor project or 2 makes her happy, :rolling eyes

Matthew