stem wear

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
nicktheww2fanatic

stem wear

Post by nicktheww2fanatic »

I recently finished my 2 1/2 year project, a 17'6" redbird. I have been fishing out of it, and taking short canoe trips all summer. I have extreme amounts of wear on the stem, its wearing through the fiberglass. How do I avoid this?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

stop paddling it up on shore? :thinking

add a brass stem band?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
nicktheww2fanatic

I have a 2nd degree sprain in one ankle, and am wearing a brace, so getting wet isn't a great idea...
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sand off any varnish and smooth the rough areas, then apply several layers of fiberglass in the areas where the wear is the greatest.

You'll have to repeat this as the wear removes fiberglass with each additional beaching. Winter is the best time to do this, anticipating the wear and tear beforehand... enjoy your time spent out on the water.
Denis

stems

Post by Denis »

If you are going to add glass cloth to stems cut it on the bias that is on a 45 degree angle in strips and it will mold itself around the stems more easily

Denis

Still looking for summer here in the Kawathas :laughing
nicktheww2fanatic

I just ordered some 2" fiberglass tape
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Fiberglass tape is not ideal for this situation. You really need to cut some glass cloth at a 45 degree angle to the edge. Cut 1 piece about 3" wide, 1 about 5" wide and 1 about 7" wide. Sand the stems and about 4" wide down the sides. Apply the widest cloth, handle carefully as it tends to stretch out of shape. I apply a coat of epoxy to the work area then lay the cloth in place. Apply more epoxy and install the medium width cloth then repeat for the last piece. Squeegee carefully so as not to displace the cloth. Allow to set to green stage then scrape the rough edges away. Allow to set for a few days then sand with 80 grit nd 120 grit. Apply as many fill coats as required to bury the cloth. Allow to set a few days, sand with 120 grit and apply a few coats of your favorite varnish.

Go paddling.
nicktheww2fanatic

is the fiberglass tape not ideal simply because of the width?

Here is my current plan:

7" wide bias cut
5" wide bias cut
4" wide bias cut
2" tape (x2)

sound good?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If the fiberglass tape is bias-cut it will work but it will have a selvadge edge which can be difficult to scrape off. You are better off with the bias-cut glass routine. Also, add brass stem bands if possible.
arcticranger

Post by arcticranger »

kind of off topic but did you put a keel on your redbird?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If that question is for me, my canoe is a Hiawatha and it has no keel. I would never put a keel on a Redbird. The design itself takes care of any tracking issues.
nicktheww2fanatic

I ended up doing it, it looks good, hard to tell the difference unless you look closely at the stems.

And I did not put a keel on my redbird, I wouldn't dream of ruining it.