deck and seat dimensions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

deck and seat dimensions

Post by podunk »

I'm building a Pospector 15 without plans, lofted the dimensions from the book. Was wondering if I could get some input on deck dimensions. Specifically how long from the stem to the end. I have a good supply of cherry so size isnt a problem. Also kind of need the seat locations from bow and stern. I'm working on my trim now till the weather breaks and I can glass the inside.
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I think the deck plate dimensions are personal choice-no right or wrong size. Look at pictures of other boats and you will see a great variety of sizes and configurations. When I was building my boat, I looked through all of the pictures on the Bear Mountain web site(launchings/guestbook) and any other references I could find. I drew various shapes/sizes on cardboard and then chose what I thought looked the best.

Be sure to consider how the gunnels and hand holds interact with the deck plates as part of your design decisions.

No matter what size/shape you use, it will be beautiful.

Vann Evans
Rick

Post by Rick »

Some use the deck plate to lift the canoe, so it'll need to be at least four fingers wide. If there's going to be a lifting thwart in that area instead, the plate can be made smaller.

You can determine the approximate seat locations from the drawings in Canoecraft, I believe the Ranger is the same as the 15' Prospector. The surest way is to c-clamp in pieces of plywood as temporary seats to the inwales to make sure the seats are in the proper location by test-paddling. Then the seat frames are cut to the right size and inwales are drilled.

IIRC, there were seat dimensions given in a chapter in Canoecraft.
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

Decks are personal preference. Makes no difference really except what looks good to you. The stern seat should be mounted as far back as possible. This is the best position for steering the canoe. On most of my canoes, the back frame of the seat is typically cut off just past the corner of the seat. i like my butt nice and snug between the gunnels. The front seat depends on who you expect to sit there the most and how it trims out the canoe. Also, leg room is a factor. If it is a symmetrical canoe, you might also consider if you ever plan to paddle solo, from the bow seat facing the stern. I do this quite a bit in the two symmetrical canoes I have, thus I normally place the bow seat in a spot where I can also use it as a solo seat facing the stern. You need to determine what it important, test it with a temporary seat and then mount them accordingly.