Grand Laker Gunnels

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
pyrofly73

I want to see it!!!

Post by pyrofly73 »

take some pictures.

Did you go for the full thickness on the transom like his book said. I think it was 2" Seemed like such an overkill.

Xavier
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I went with 1 and 7/8, I have lots of pictures, just unable to post from here, PM me your address and I will send a few.
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

I think 3/4 x 3/4 on the outwales and 3/4 x 3/8 on the inwales would be fine even for a motorized canoe. I do not believe that Gil calls for anything different on the Grand Laker than the rest of his canoes. I am just about done stripping a square stern version of the 20' White Guide canoe in Gilpatricks book. I cut it back to station three and installed a hardwood transom 3/4" thick. It is about 28" across the back and 15'3" from stem to stern down the center line. I am hoping to put a 4.5 hp outboard with built in tank on this canoe. I built it with 7/32" strips, mostly basswood with a touch of WRC here and there. Getting 6 oz cloth inside and out and will be used heavily. I plan three seats with oar locks in the center. Plan on using it for running up rivers, then drifting down while fishing. I am putting standard gunnels as described above with scupper blocks 1/4" by 3/4" x 3" long spaces 3" apart. All seats, yoke, gunnels, decks etc will be made of white oak.