Hadn't heard from Dawne lately.....

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Nice Canoe....thanks for sharing...now you can start "day-dreaming" about
building the next one... :laughing
willo

Post by willo »

Very nice! Enjoy it.
Rick

Post by Rick »

The evening pic canoeing on Buckskin lake looks great... glad to hear that all the work was worth it!
John Brice

anyone heard from Dawne lately

Post by John Brice »

A really nice looking boat. You must be very proud. I think I know how you must feel - I launched my Bob Special the same day. Out of curiousity did you keep track of the hours?

Take a look at our maiden voyage www.tinyurl.com/jbs-canoe
John Brice

Dawne

Post by John Brice »

The url should have been www.tinyurl.com/jb-scanoe
doe4rae

Congrats John!!

Post by doe4rae »

I just finished looking at your album! Your boat looks superb and I laughed when I saw the picture of the mud in the boat. Hard isn't it?? I heard a scrape on the bottom of mine when one of the kids got in and I stopped breathing for about 2 mintues. After I got home I looked all over the bottom for that scratch and couldn't find it. The brass stem bands that I didn't want to put on (but eventually decided to use) must have been what rubbed on the cement boat ramp.
I can't wait to go out again! My husband says I can't until after graduation is over (my oldest graduates from HS in 3 weeks.) I think I can probably sneak out real early in the morning and get back before he even misses me!
Congrats again on your beautiful boat! I am looking at building the Resolute (kayak) next possibly. I couldn't tell you how many hours I have into my boat but because I had no tools and no wood working experience I am sure it was over 300. I sometimes I had to read sections of CanoeCraft over and over trying to understand what was supposed to happen next. Randy here on the forum was kind enough to talk me through the definition of a "mortise" when it came to installing the stems. The learning curve was quite steep for me but I had SO MUCH fun doing this! I told myself when I started not to put too high of expectation on myself -- if the boat didn't turn out at all, then at least I had learned something. Well, the boat DID turn out... even better than I expected and now I can pursue my ultimate goal, which was to build a kayak. Would love to hear from other builders who have done both (canoe and kayak) and find out their opinion of whether or not they thought building a kayak was much harder than the canoe.
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence