Patina?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bill Robb

Patina?

Post by Bill Robb »

Hello...

I just got my Freedom 17 of winter storage in preparation my my first trip of the season this weekend. My canoe is now two years old, with lots of mileage on it.

The hull (inside and out) was done with West System 207, then several coats of Epifanes High Gloss varnish. I oiled the trim - gunnels, seats, decks, yoke, thwarts.

I looking at my canoe, I see the trim is developing a real nice patina, showing some wear and tear and darkening. The hull still looks pristine. My question is, does glassing the hull, with varnish over it prevent the wood from acquiring a patina? Is it always going to look shiny and new? (Aside from the scratches, of course :))

Thanks...

Bill
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm certainly no expert on this but I thought that the general darkening of wood left to the elements was primarily driven by sunlight. Lay a new cherry hardood floor, put a small rug on it and then move the rug in a couple months will show a distinct image where the rug was (the rest of the wood will have darkened - some boards more than others).

One of the primary purposes of the varnish is to provide UV protection to the epoxy. I would guess that that same protection applies to the wood itself and would therefore cause it to "age" slower. But I would guess that it to is aging but at a slower pace.

You could try leaving your canoe in the sun for the summer with a rug thrown over part of it to see what happens. :big grin
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Randy is correct, the U.V. filters in the hardener and in the varnish will slow down the aging process. However, I have left a kayak out in the elements with webbing straps over the hull and when I removed the straps, the wood beneath the straps was darker than the rest. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is called ghosting.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Maybe I should varnish my face....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rick

Post by Rick »

Randy, varnish darkening will give you a tanned look with time...

:wink

The varnish on my Huron seems to be darker after several years, especially with the white pine and white cedar. Removing age-darkened varnish may lighten the appearance of the boat, according to this book:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=39_3NAZ ... ng&f=false
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Rick, I see you mentioned using white pine and white cedar, how does the pine compare to the cedar as far as color goes once it is glassed. I used one strip of pine on my grand laker, just wondering if it will show up lighter than the cedar.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi, Chris, the white pine I used was for the inwales while the hull was done in white cedar. After varnishing with Interlux Schooner, the inwales became a very light-toned yellow because of the color that this traditional varnish has. The white cedar was darker overall but the sapwood strips were still very light, almost as light as the white pine. The strips made from cedar heartwood are darker brown and mixed in with the sapwood help to provide some contrast with the light inwale.

After several years. the varnish has darkened somewhat and there is less contrast... I felt the white pine was too light-toned immediately after varnishing... now, it's a little darker and IMO more pleasing. There is still contrast between inwale and hull because the inwale is uniformly light from end to end, while the hull is darker overall with the darker heartwood mixed in... hope that helps.
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Thanks for your replies.

I actually don't want to 'lighten' the appearance. On the contrary, I was hoping that over time, my canoe would take on that 'weathered veteran' type of look. Maybe I'm just rushing it and my canoe will look older when it's, well, older.

By the way, I accidentally varnished my face once. It looked good till I smiled.

Regards...

Bill :wink