Looks Like I Screwed Up the Stations

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
CarvingCanuck

Looks Like I Screwed Up the Stations

Post by CarvingCanuck »

This is my first time at trying to build a canoe. As you can see from the pic(I hope) that the station # 6 is way taller than the other stations. I have worked the numbers several times and get the same results. Any help would be appreciated.[/url]
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I set up my forms differently than described in CanoeCraft or in the plan manual, but you are certainly correct in figuring that # 6 should be the same height or slightly lower. Your waterlines or centerlines should line up if sighted down the whole boat. It looks like all your other stations are too low or from the picture that they are gradually gaining in height from one end to the other. You will need the height in the ends for the end forms. You probably don't want to hear this, but I think #6 is correct and all the others are not.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Your center forms should look like mushrooms in profile. They should have a nearly 1 foot center "riser" then balloon out to the hull shape. Check out page 120 of Canoecraft for reference.

To my mind (and my father is an engineer) the tables and pretty much complete lack of step-by-step instructions for lofting that are not in Canoecraft seriously mar an otherwise magnificent book (sorry, Ted). Just do a search on "lofting" in the Forum and you will find LOTS of discussion, tips and hints. Bottom line, from your picture, it doesn't appear that you are sunk. You should be able to scab on some risers to your center molds (0-5) to get them to the right height. Go back to your table of heights and be sure that the Profile Heights are correct.

Good Luck and post us a pic when you finish it.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Friesen 5

Post by Friesen 5 »

I don't know if you've figured out the problem. But you can use the tip I offered at this link to increase the height of the forms. http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... php?t=3515

I drew up my stations from an earlier edition of Canoecraft. In it it states that the strongback line is 2 inches higher than your highest plotted point. On the Prospector, that highest plotted point was on the bow and stern section. From that point I measured up 2" and made that the strongback line. Note that this is done when all the formers are drawn on the plan, and so all the formers have the same strongback line. The end formers are closer to the strongback while the center formers are further from the strongback.

I suspect you may have added the 2 inches to the highest plotted point of each former individually.

Mervin Friesen
Prospector
Mervin Friesen
Prospector 16'