OLd Canoe Repair

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
ChiSox1

OLd Canoe Repair

Post by ChiSox1 »

Fellas, hello and all . Looking for some help bringinh my garage sale canoe back to life. Need some wood strip planks cut out and patched in again. It also needs a whole lot of TLC. Want to do the work myself and have no ideas where to begin. I was unable to post pics, so I can forward them if someone can give me some direction and restoration ideas

Thanks for any help & GO HAWKS Thanks Pat
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Pat, you can send the pics to me and I will post them for you.
glen@charlevoix.net
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Here are the pics of Pat's canoe which is in dire need of some major rework:

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Here is my opinion: You need to remove that partial keel then remove all the glass from the hull exterior. Next step is to glue up some strips to form patches. Cut out the damaged areas to reach solid wood. Glue some strips together over the outer hull covering the damaged area but protected so they don't remain glued to the hull. From the inside, draw a line transferring the shape of the hole onto the patch material. Remove patch material and trim to the lines, glue in place the plane and sand to fair the patch into the hull lines.

When all patching is done, sand entire outer hull with 80 and 120 grit paper, clean-up and apply glass and epoxy. Eliminate the keel or make a new one that is longer and blends into the outer stems at both ends. Apply fill coats, scrape and sand, clean-up then varnish.
willo

Post by willo »

Sure not shiny new like we see here usually. i am guessing that you need to get all of the old glass off . The hole can be patched with new strips. If the wood is sound a new cover of epoxy and cloth.This could likely be a boat made with polyester resin. polyester does not bond well with wood.You could look at WCHA Forum , they have alot of info on restoration. Good luck !
ChiSox1

OLd Canoe

Post by ChiSox1 »

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how in the heck do I remove all that glass from the
exterior hull. What about the inside of thye hull?

Any ideas on what size brass screws to use to screw ribs into your canoe?

How do I match the wood patch to the existing strips.

If I left anything out, please let me have it! Want to make this canoe Super, Ultra Mega Cool. For my kids to enjoy safely for many,many years.

Get ready for the battle in the Blackhawks. Thanks for any help Pat
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You will find some useful info at this link: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... fiberglass
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

In well ventilated area, or outside, use some heat to see if you can soften the fiberglass/resin on the exterior and remove as much as you can by just pulling it off. Then, I would take a random orbit sander with about 40 grit paper and basically try and sand off all the old fiberglass and resin until you get it back down to bare wood on the exterior, but not more than you have to. Once you get it down to bare wood, cut out the rotten areas and mill some strips to match the existing thickness and epoxy in place using tape on inside and outside to keep it lined up. sand the patched areas smooth, then reglass the exterior. This off course after you remove the gunnels and that keel on the bottom. Once the exterior is finished, remove the fiberglass/resin from the inside in the same fashion if it is not well bonded. the inside is probably a lot better than the outside, which has taken the brunt of the ultraviolet radiation over the years. I hope you are not doing this to save time or money over building a strip built canoe from scatch. You will probably have more time in restoration and nearly a much money. Based on what I see, I would burn it and start from scratch unless it has sentimental value.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Out of curiosity ChiSox, how much did you pay for it?
Denis

Post by Denis »

I notice you are asking about screwing ribs into the canoe? Does it have ribs now or are you considering adding them? Strip canoes don't require ribs as they are glassed inside and out removing the need for ribs unless the planking is real thin. It would be easier I think to add a layer of glass inside if the hull needs stiffening

Denis
David James

Post by David James »

Hey Pat

I'd patch it as Glen describes, lightly sand it, varnish it and enjoy paddling and playing around with it. You'll get the boatbuilding bug and next you will be building your very own. If you're going to work so hard on a boat, make it your own I say.

Dave (in Glenview Il)

P.S - GO BLACKHAWKS!!
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Follow Glenn's advice, or do what I did.
I purchased a stripper that looked very nearly the same, in Minn. for $50, cut it in half and made it into a book shelf, turned out great.

Interesting tid bit, when I was heating the old gunnel screws to remove, I could smell the fish oil that had dried on the gunnels. Must have carried it's owner to some hot fishing spot !
Good luck and have fun !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
ChiSox1

OLd Canoe

Post by ChiSox1 »

Fellas, thanks for all the input. Sorry about the late reply as work and baseball are really kicking my arse. Anyways, I probably overpaid at $220 for it, but that's water over the dam now. T want to add the ribs, because I like that look, if I can get a system put together I surely will install them

Will try heating this sucker up with a heat gun and see what she has to say.. If it ever stops raining that is. Have an old airstream to fix up as well. Will post more onsat/sun. Thanks again for the input AND GO BLACKHAWKS!
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

You paid about $200 too much in my opinion, for what it's worth. For $220 you could have purchased the lumber for the canoe and built your own. Everything else you are going to spend wether it is to refurbish or build new. You can get canoe plans out of Gilpatrick's book and about $40 in plywood for the forms and you are right about the same place without the unknowns of how this thing is going take the removal of the skin.

However, now that you are into it, you have little choice. That might be the largest amount of money I have ever seen paid for a canoe with a hole in it!
David James

Post by David James »

Pat,

I still say patch it, sand it, varnish it, use it, have fun with it. You'll get your money's worth out of it, believe me. There is a canoe "race" down the Chicago river in October called the "Flatwater Classic". Paddle it with your kids. You will have a ball! :razz

If you want a beautiful canoe you can be proud of, and you're not afraid of the amount of work and committment invoved, build your own.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln