Staining Wood Before Epoxy?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
CarvingCanuck

Staining Wood Before Epoxy?

Post by CarvingCanuck »

Is it ok to put an oil stain on your planking before you apply the epoxy. Might it inhibit the "soaking in" power of the wood?
Thanks.

Bob
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

West System "Epoxyworks" has some info on this:http://www.epoxyworks.com/21/index21.html
willo

Post by willo »

If you want to stain strips before epoxy is added the stain should be water or alcohol based according to Nick Schades Building Strip-Planked Boats. Oil base stains will interfere with the bond between wood and epoxy. There is a whole chapter on staining in that book.
bnarus

Post by bnarus »

If you are staining some and not others as you build, do a test first for bleeding. I used Behlen Solar-Lux jet black dye on parts of my boats and epoxy causes it to bleed, run and lift. I had to pre epoxy those parts and let it cure before I epoxied the whole boat. Other stains and dyes may or may not bleed. Always check. Good luck
A video link of my boats is under the post Extreme Veneering.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Staining before sanding will not work . As stated, try a test strip first !

I've seen a hull that was completely stained before epoxy was applied. The builder used a black or real dark stain. It made the hull look as if it was carbon fiber. Thus hiding the beauty of the strips.

My concern was the black might absorb more UV light and degrade the glass and epoxy much earlier.

This builder used a water based stain.

Good Luck

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

This link may be of help:

http://greenval.com/FAQstaining.html

Moonman.