Mounting seats in a Freedom 17' 9"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mneidert

Mounting seats in a Freedom 17' 9"

Post by mneidert »

I'm mounting the seats in a Freedom 17' 9" . Do you cut 8 spacers of Identical length & therefore the seat height will be uniform relative to the gunwales ? or Do you measure up from the bottom of the canoe (In my case about 9" & cut spacers to fit & therefore seat height is uniform relative to the inside hull along the keel line? The difference is about 1"
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome to the forum! I leveled my 17-9 on the horses, and installed the seats level. Not only are they different lengths, but the top of blocks need to be cut at a angle where they hit the gunwales. I put my seats as low as I could with 6" SB bolts, and I wish I could have gotten them an inch lower...and I have size 13 feet. I am glad I mounted them level, though. Image
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

I did the same as Ben but left the spacers out until after we went for a paddle. Feeling them in action allowed for adjustment before cutting the spacers. Level to very slightly lower at the front edge is how they turned out. Matthew
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I built a Freedom 15 and mounted the seats as low as possible with a 6" bronze bolt. I would drop the front edge 1/2" for comfort-if the seat is level, the front edge of the crosspiece will dig into your butt cheeks uncomfortably. I also beveled the front edge of the wooden crosspiece for comfort.

There are some pictures of the seats here
http://picasaweb.google.com/cboaternc/F ... StripCanoe#

good luck
Vann Evans