Prospector Inwales, Scuppers, Steam Bending

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AsaBlanchard

Prospector Inwales, Scuppers, Steam Bending

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Fellow Boat Builders,
I am building a 17' Prospector from Canoe Craft using walnut inwales with scuppers and tapering the ends as recommended from 7/8 to 3/8. I am concerned the walnut will break while bending if already cut with scuppers. In what order do you complete the inwales?
1. Bevel sides as needed.
2. Steam bend
3. Cut scuppers and taper end
4. Attach
Is this correct? Or cut the scuppers first, then steam bend?

Thanks for your replies,
Asa
David James

Post by David James »

Asa, I didn't have to steam bend the inwales for my Freedom 17, but I would do it in the order you listed. Better chance for a nice smooth bend I would think...

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I would cut scuppers first, then taper ends, then steambend.

Your scuppers should not extend into the region that will be steamed. Consequently, you should have no problems steaming after you cut your scuppers. The inwale will be easier to handle/machine before you steam bend...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
jturk

Post by jturk »

Asa
I used walnut for the gunwales on my prospector 16. I did not pre bend or steam prior to attaching. I had lots of clamps but no problems.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Asa

I would enlist some help attaching the gunnels if you aren't going to steam them first. Start in the middle of course and clamp as you make the bends.

You will need a lot of clamps if you aren't using screws

Denis
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ditto on the clamps. I did the gunwales on my Freedom 17-9 by myself with just thickened epoxy. The outwales took all 43 of my clamps, and I wished I had a couple more. I used cherry without steaming, but there is much less stem rise on the Freedoms.
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Gentleman,
I did a "dry bend" last night and to my dismay it appeared the inwales will make the bend without steaming. I did bevel one inwale the wrong direction, which meant I had to remark the locations of scuppers, seats and thwarts that are not cut out yet.

I don't work well upside down and backwards. I made a mess of the crown molding on my cabinets too!

Onward and Upwards,

Thanks for the suggestions,

Asa,
Boat Builder wanne be