Slippery Prospector

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
spurwing

Slippery Prospector

Post by spurwing »

Has anyone ever considered sprinkling a very light sprinkle of sand into the final interior varnish cost to improve grip in critical areas? :thinking
sedges

slip-no-more

Post by sedges »

The product I use is called SLIP NO MORE. It can be added to any paint. The quantity used will determine the roughness. I use very little, perhaps a tablespoon in a half pint of varnish. It will still be a clear, but with a mat finish. It nice because it cuts the glare from the sun as well. I mask off the bottom and only apply it there. You need to stir it regularly, because the powder settles out quickly.

Use a throw-a-way brush as the silica will never get cleaned out of the brush.
sedges

uncertain name of product

Post by sedges »

I am not sure that the product I mention above is still available. A web search revealed other products using that name that are spray-on anti-slip treatments that are not at all similar to the simple fine silica sand that I add to the varnish. The bag I bought 20 years ago has got me through 14 canoes and several refinishings.

I would suggest a visit to your local paint store or a big store with a good paint department and look for a powdered paint additive to make a surface non-slip. I'm sure there is one out there.
spurwing

Post by spurwing »

thanks for your advice - also did a web search and found the spray on applications - will talk to the paint guys
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The gritty stuff is still available out there but you have to search for it. I got mine in the local hardware store. It is used for outdoor wooden steps. I found it was a bit too rough so I applied an extra coat of varnish over top and it worked out fine.
sedges

use sparingly

Post by sedges »

As mentioned above, you don't need much of this stuff in the mix to make a good non-skid surface. A spoon full in a half is plenty. Also, I don't thin varnish coats on the inside, a thick, protective build -up is the goal. That probably covers the particles a little deeper.
Aljo

Post by Aljo »

What I used on a friends motorboat is very fine calcium sand (used for production of medical pills), and mix it in the paint, and it works great!