Anyone use Last n Last Varnish from Raka ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
woodguy00

Anyone use Last n Last Varnish from Raka ?

Post by woodguy00 »

Has anyone used the Last n Last Marine and Spar Varnish sold by Raka ? Larry says it works well over their epoxy. Has anyone tried it? It cost about $17 per quart.

I received this from Absolute Coatings, the manufacturer today:
Our Marine and Door Spar Varnish can be applied over epoxy but the
surface should be scuffed well for better adhesion. It can be used above
water level. It is a maintenance product which needs to be refinished at
least once a year.

Sounds promising. I think I'll make a test panel while waiting for my epoxy on the canoe to fully cure the next couple days. Varnish the panel once it has cured and see if it hardens up well before messing up the real thing.

Thanks

Tim
Ben

Re: Anyone use Last n Last Varnish from Raka ?

Post by Ben »

Bump...

I am getting ready to order fiberglass and epoxy and I will probably use Raka. Last time I used US Composites epoxy and, well, you can do a search for the posts from last year. If anyone has a positive review of this varnish I will probably use it.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I too am trying to figure out what varnish to use. I was leaning towards Epiphanes varnish or polyurethane. Interested to hear about Raka, though I just got a delivery from them this week. Shoulda looked into this before, I guess.

Ben, Raka are great people to deal with. You don't show a location, but if in Canada DO NOT use UPS for delivery, but USPS instead. UPS is a rip off with their brokerages fees.
-JIM-
woodguy00

Post by woodguy00 »

I thought this thread had died! I also posted to the kayak building forum with no responses.

I applied the 4th coat of this varnish to the outside of my canoe last night. Admittedly I have no other experience with this or any other varnish, but it went on easily with no problems using foam brushes. Each coat cured very hard in 24 hours and the finish is looking good. Time to flip it tomorrow and start varnishing the inside.

The ingredient list says "oil modified polyurethane" as the first item.