Nomad 17'

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jerryc

Nomad 17'

Post by jerryc »

I am in the process of starting my first cedar strip canoe. I have a question on my nomad 17'. When I start stripping, can I start to run full-length strips from the bow to stern, with full strips under the gunwales? Or go I have to put shorter strips in on the bow & stern? In other words, Does the Nomad 17' have too much flare to have full-length strips directly under the gunwale.

Thanks
Jerry
Patricks Dad

Re: Nomad 17'

Post by Patricks Dad »

Personally, I would not start with 1 strip following the sheer line from one end to the other. The Nomad appears to have quite a bit of curve at the bow and stern. I'd start with a full length strip attached to the middle few stations and let it droop naturally and then go up from there toward the keel and then fill in below that to the sheer line.

But it's your craft. You get to decide.

One other consideration. Make some measurements for how the strips will look/behave at the bilge. Will there be lots of twists required as you strip or will they tend to follow around the bilge consistently. Will you find yourself well around the bilge in the middle of the boat while you are still below the bilge at the stems. This would require that you put a significant twist in the strips as you put them on (not impossible. Just more difficult).

Lastly, take a look at the various photos you can find on this site to see if one way or the other strikes you as most attractive.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Aljo

Re: Nomad 17'

Post by Aljo »

I agree with Randy 100%, I would let the first strip run naturqlly and just fill with shorter strips as there is a lot of recurve on the model you chose. But it can be done with a single strip, depending on it's width, thicknes and the species of wood.