Robb White Sport Boat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kurt Loup

Robb White Sport Boat

Post by Kurt Loup »

Over the weekend, I started working on the transom for Robb White's version of the Sport Boat. So far, I have the transom cut out and one layer of 4 oz. fiberglass added. I made the transom out of salvaged redwood that I have on hand. It will likely be a few weeks before I get any more work done on the project as I need to complete another woodworking project, mill strips for the boat and make the forms. I'll add more photos as I go.

Kurt

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Robb White's Sport Boat is a nice design. I hope you make that transom very solid and install strong knees so it doesn't get ripped out of place if the motor foot strikes an object while in reverse. :frightened
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

No doubt.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I took advantage of the nice weather today to start preparing for ripping strips. I will be building the boat out of salvaged redwood 2x6's, so I ripped the boards to allow quarter sawn strips. Once the bead and cove is milled, the strips should be about 7/8" wide.

woodguy00

Post by woodguy00 »

Kurt,

I took a look at that design. Very cool. It will be one sweet boat.

Tim
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Tim,

I'm looking forward to it. Nice weather this weekend, but I am doing some painting on my house. There are a number of things I'd rather do than paint, but scratching something off the to do list is nice.
Kurt Loup

Re: Robb White Sport Boat

Post by Kurt Loup »

I finally got back to working on the boat after getting a few home repair projects out of the way. I ripped the strips yesterday and milled the bead and cove today. Glad that is over as it took hours working alone. Tonight, I picked up two sheets of 3/4" sheathing plywood for the forms. If I get time tomorrow, I will start working on the forms.

I had a pile of sawdust after ripping the strips.

This is my router set up for milling the beads and coves.

The end result.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I cut out a few forms this afternoon. I thought I had more photocopies of the plans, but I will have to go have more made before I can finish the forms. I also added two more layers of 4 oz. fiberglass cloth to the inside of the transom. It will be easier to do now before I start construction.

Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I finished the forms tonight. I'll mount them to the strongback this weekend.

Kurt
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I got the forms mounted to the strongback around noon today. Yesterday, I started mounting the forms keel up on the strongback. I wanted to build the boat keel up like all the other boats I have built, but was having trouble getting the forms aligned. The designer built the boat keel down and his instructions for aligning the forms are described that way. This morning, I decided to strip the forms I had mounted keel up and start over with the keel down. It was much easier to align them that way. The only problem is the boat will have to be flipped at some point so that the bottom can be stripped. If you strip with the keel up, you can strip the complete hull without the need to remove the forms from the strongback. So far, I have 6 strips on one side and 4 on the other. I am already worried that I did not mill enough strips. I barely have enough room to squeeze around the bow to work on the opposite side.

Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I have about 5 strips left. Once that is finished, I will start laminating the bow stem.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I must say, that is starting to look suspiciously like a boat. :smile
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I started shaping the bow stem tonight. I used a drawknife to remove as much as I could before I switched to a spokeshave. The last picture is where I stopped. I didn't touch the section that runs along the keel very much. I worked up a pretty good sweat. So much for the cool weather. Once I finish shaping the stem, I'll sand the hull.

Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I added the 3rd layer of fiberglass to the transom this morning. I would have fiberglassed the hull this weekend had the fiberglass and epoxy I ordered last week been delivered. I should finish the exterior of the boat by next weekend. Sanding the inside is the worst part of the build. Not looking forward to that.

Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Over the weekend, I added 4 layers of fiberglass to the hull. Tonight, I added a coat of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth. I'll add another coat or two before calling it quits on the exterior of the hull. I'll pull it off the forms this coming weekend. Sanding the inside is the worst part of the project, but fiberglassing the inside is the easiest.