Is this a problem?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Is this a problem?

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm getting ready to trace the Ranger 15 station molds onto my forms and found the plans are not quite actual size. The 21" dimension shows on the 1:1 plan actually measures 20 15/16". I checked page 1 (top/side views) which is supposed to be 1.5":1' and it's also about 1/16" off.

Do I ignore it and proceed or not? It appears the scale the plans were printed to was slightly off. The Canoecraft talks about hitting it within 1/32" and the plans are off more than that.
wb9tpg

Re: Is this a problem?

Post by wb9tpg »

I'll answer my own post. I called Bear Mountain and they're shipping me out a new set of plans. They said they'd check them before they went out to verify them..

All I can say is they deliver great customer service!!! Nice to do business with people like this. :applause
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Your question had me stumped. I was really scratching my head for an answer that wouldn't come. Then I read your second post and was happy you were found resolution to the problem. However, I am still mystified as to the answer or how to rectify the variation. Maybe someone will clue us in.

As for Bear Mountain Boats, fantastic people. You came to the right place for quality and service. I can't remember the exact statement Ted made in 2005 but I asked him what he thought of people building designs from other sources. He said something like this, "I don't care who's design it is, I just like to see people building wooden boats". He's in the business but he really does have the passion for building and sharing what he knows.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

My plans came to me as DWG files. My local printer could only do PDF, so I saved them that way. For some reason it changed the scale slightly, and was out enough to be of concern. I can't remember, but it was about 1/4" in 12". I had my brother print them at work (an aeronautical engineering firm that deals with DWG files all the time), and they then came out perfect.

Definitely something to confirm.
-JIM-
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

dwg files

Post by Joan and Ted »

Hi - it is Joan here Glen asked me to clarify whether or not we sell DWG etc (electronic) files for printing - we do not supply plans in any other format than printed paper sets. So the plans you printed as a DWG were not Bear Mountain plans (I assume?)

The reason we don't supply computer files for printing is because we would not be able to control the use of the files. In order to offer plans for sale we have to invest in the creation of the plans and the marketing/selling process which has a cost. The sale of plans allows us to continue to help people build good boats while earning some income and the mail order part of the business is an important component of Bear Mountain. We appreciate the many customers who support us.
We are addressing the issue of the discrepancy with the measurements that Gary experienced. Thanks for the feedback.
Joan Barrett and Ted Moores
Bear Mountain Boats
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
705-740-0470