Robb White Sport Boat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kurt Loup

Re: Robb White Sport Boat

Post by Kurt Loup »

It's starting to look like a boat. Next up is sanding the interior.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice lines, I am liking this more and more!
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Can't have too many clamps. My progress has been slow since I went out of town the last two weekends, but I epoxied the outer gunwales to the boat tonight. Tomorrow night I'll try to start fitting the inner gunwales. The tumblehome in the stern makes it tricky to get the gunwales to fit perpendicular to the sheer line. I have to make a 3.5' long tapering bevel on the inside that fits against the hull. The bevel ends up being around 45* at the stern.

Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I'm calling it 90% finished. I've submitted the paperwork to get it registered and I'm waiting for the inspection so that I can obtain registration numbers. A few things remain to be done. I need to make a detachable anchor lock for the bow, add a bow line, mount cleats in the stern and work on some cosmetic issues. The rain/high humidity hasn't been conducive to a good varnish finish. Once I spend some time in it, I may add rod holders and who knows what else. I want to try out a trolling motor mounted just behind the front thwart. If it tracks straight, I will add a small block of wood to the outside of the hull so that the trolling motor will mount properly. The person in the front seat will be able to operate the tm and it will raise up behind the front thwart.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That looks really good Kurt! Is the long pole used for "poling"? Do you plan on installing the trolling motor off the side of the hull or through the hull?
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Thanks. Yeah, the push pole is for "poling". I plan to fish the LA marsh. In really shallow water, a trolling motor can spook the fish. It will be mounted over the side. Since I cut off a bit of the trolling motor shaft for another project, I'm not sure if it is long enough to mount all the way in the bow. Plus, the head is set up to be mounted in the stern. Not a big deal to turn the head around, but it will be in the appropriate orientation for mounting behind the front thwart.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Here is a short clip from the maiden voyage.

Other than being a pain to load on my truck rack by myself, I don't have any complaints. I see a trailer in my future. I was able to paddle it from the rear seat with a kayak paddle. I don't think I'd want to go too far or paddle with anything other than minimal wind, but moving short distances won't be a problem. I didn't bring the push pole to try out. Standing won't be a problem. The boat is very stable. The kids were able to walk around. At the launch in shallow water, I stood with one leg in the boat and one leg over the side and the boat didn't feel like it would flip.

The trim of the boat is not bad with just me and a 40 lbs. battery just behind the front thwart.

In this photo, I have the trolling motor mounted on the transom and the battery behind the rear seat. If I were fishing, I'd have an ice chest, gear and anchor in front, so the trim isn't bad.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I find that the trim is very good considering that most of the weight is in the stern. Now you have no excuse for not showing photos of the monster fish you will be catching.