Sheer strip placement question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Sheer strip placement question

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm building the Ranger 15 and have a question on the placement of the sheer strip. Do I place the strip 1/8" lower than the sheer line to account for the bead on the strip that will be removed later?
Glen Smith

Re: Sheer strip placement question

Post by Glen Smith »

It would be fine to do it that way.
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

That's what I did with my Prospector 16, I set the first strip at 1/8th past the sheer on station 0 and then ran the strip dead on horizontally (that bit is personal preference though) to the stems. If you do this, you have to make sure you strip down far enough that you go past where the sheer will be (and then some in my case) at all points.
Of course if your first strip follows the sheer you don't have this problem, but I was a bit worried that with a well rockered design like the Prospector it might make it look a little banana shaped...

It was a good thing I did have the extra in the end, as there was something funky about the sheer on my moulds (I plotted/cut them myself). When I put a batten on to get the smooth curve for the sheer I found that the sheer on all the stations didn't/wouldn't agree and I ended up going above and below the sheer in places, so that extra was a very happy accident.. :smile
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ditto. I just installed my inwales and I need to do a little bit of filling. :rolling eyes