Varnishing - Still air but ventilation?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
shawnwaite

Varnishing - Still air but ventilation?

Post by shawnwaite »

How are you folk ventilating your workarea but keeping the air still so that no "environment" dust lands on the hull?

What methods are "safe" to add heat to my garage during varnishing.

I'll be using Pettit FlagShip varnish.

S.
shawn@shawnwaite.com
Erich Eppert

Post by Erich Eppert »

shawnwaite

Varnishing with ventilation is not that difficult if done right. As long as you are venting out and pulling air through a filter you shouldn't have too much flying around. Set the fan on low and make sure the intake is set so that clean air will come over the work place. Another way is to use a breathing mask with organic vapour cartridges. If you can smell the varnish it isn't tight enough on your face. The mask is the cheapest way to go. A Vendmar unit is the best and the most expensive, but will keep the air clean and mixed with fresh air.

My shop is heated with a wood stove and keeps the temperature in the 80's over a longer period of time. It is heavily insulated to retain the heat. Even at forty below in the winter it is a cosy 80 degress inside. With this I can heat the room to temperature and shut off all dust making appliances for two hours prior to varnishing. There is always a little settling on the finish but then again it ia a boat not furniture.

Open flames should not be used, propane torpedoes, but convection heaters work. Electric is good but you still have the problem with dust as it heats. Radiant heaters will sometimes cause problems with the finish as it dries and can cause hot spots. There is so many different ways to heat a garage some work some don't.

The only way I know to get no dust is as my buddy does it. He build a clean room onto his garage to paint in. He has lots of lights to luminate the project. This is the ultimate way to go.

Regards, Erich.
shawnwaite

Thanks

Post by shawnwaite »

[[ I finally registered!!! ]]

Thanks Erich..

I have a 'salamander' heater that I've been using.. I may run it long enough to get the garage to temp and then shut it off until the vapors are cleared out... sound safe enough?

We should be at nearly 70F this week here in Maine so I'm think It may take very little to keep it up to temp.

Thanks for the words.

S.
shawn@shawnwaite.com
I still have sawdust up my nose.