Weird Bilge Stripping Solution

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Icebiker

Weird Bilge Stripping Solution

Post by Icebiker »

Hello,
I am a 19 y/o from Northern Ontario building a Prospector. As I am pretty new, I have had a few problems. Luckily I have a friend who is pretty proficient in woodworking (albeit mostly non-canoe woodworking).

I had the common problem of the strips wanting to pull off of the mold at the bilge. Staples wouldn't hold, neither would finishing nails. So the proposed solution was to use #6 screws with 3/16 washers and a 1/8 pilot hole and pull the strips closer.

I attached a couple of pictures to see the technique.

Opinions?

I know it won't look as good, but I'm ok with that.
Denis

Re: Weird Bilge Stripping Solution

Post by Denis »

You could also use a small finishing nail countersink it a bit and leave nail in place when fairing sanding and glassing the hull. When you remove the boat off the forms the nail will pull thro leaving just a small hole to fill.

I'd say you are doing ok and good luck with it

Denis

:applause
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

That will work fine. Other quite accomplished builders have used the same method - see this link to a neat looking solo canoe : https://picasaweb.google.com/conk46er/TheHarrier#

Another method would be to use ratchet straps. You can cinch them down right around a form and they will hold everything nice and tight to the forms. Just don't go too tight! You have to wait till the glue dries to continue stripping, as opposed to the screw, but then no hole...also, you can check out many builders who use no staples, a lot of neat tricks have been developed to hold the strips to the forms. If you want to go faster just keep doing what you are doing as it will still look great when you are done.

Moonman.
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
Its a neat idea and will pull the strips down well but anyone who like me uses 1/2 inch mdf forms should note that unless thin screws and pilot holes are used the screws can split the layers of mdf creating problems.This could be solved by screwing a wood block to the mdf on the side where the problem is and then screwing into this.screwing into mdf at right angles doesnt create the same problem.
cheers
Alick
Auvo R

Post by Auvo R »

No sense to make holes to the planks. Just do a jig outside the hull to
keep planks steady against the molds.