History of cedar stripping

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Icebiker

History of cedar stripping

Post by Icebiker »

I was browsing the web, but couldn't seem to find the history of cedar strip building. It looks like Peterborough started cedar stripping, but who started fiberglassing the hull?

The only tidbit of information that I could find is that the method was refined by some canoe racers.
Glen Smith

Re: History of cedar stripping

Post by Glen Smith »

This book sold by Bear Mountain Boats: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/online ... ucts_id=61 has a lot of history on canoe building.
Icebiker

Post by Icebiker »

Thanks Glen! I'll be sure to order one.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

One sidenote: When did whatshisname start using a certain material or technique can be discussed forever next to a campfire. Several builders seem to have started doing the same thing at the same time so who was first is a guessing game. There are archives stashed in dark, dusty rooms in various places around the world that are just waiting for someone to sort through them if you have a lifetime to spare. :laughing

The book I referenced is a worthy purchase.
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

I don't exactly remember where I read it now, but I seem to recall reading some time ago that Penn Yan boats pioneered the commercial use of this technique back in the 1940's.