17' 0" Endeavour

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

17' 0" Endeavour

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your 17' 0" Endeavour project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
Last edited by Joan and Ted on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
IslandStripper

Strip project #2

Post by IslandStripper »

Last year at this time we completed a 15' Ranger. Now I have the bug and have a location to start the next project - Endeavour 17.

Start Date- September 9, 2004

Target - September 8, 2005

So far I have constructed the strongback, laid out the molds, cut and mounted them. I now have approx 70 bf of rough sawn western red cedar and preparing for planing and ripping. See my progress photos at the link below.
IslandStripper

Ahead of Schedule

Post by IslandStripper »

I believe I'm a little ahead of schedule. I took last week off as my folks were in town so I used them for feed rollers for making the strips. I now have three in place. With a decent base to work from I'm going stapleless and the next strip will be my feature strip.

I hope to use the stapleless jigs as shown in KayakCraft. Any comments or experience with these jigs on the endeavour would be appreciated.

I plan on using a similar strip down the centre of the deck, however it will be made of two separate strips bevelled to lay fair along the deck centreline. (crowned along the centerline.)

follow the link below for picture of the progress.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I used the Kayakcraft jigs and liked them. You say you want to build staple-less but photo 33 shows staples, what gives? I thought we would see a photo of your infeed table :lol: .
IslandStripper

More progress

Post by IslandStripper »

The stripping of the hull is complete and I have dry fit the outer stems. Time to borrow a space heater. Not that cold but a little chilly for epoxy (8-12C) in the garage.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davidj ... /my_photos

The tanzer should be hitting the water in March. I have to take it down to fibreglass and redue the bottom paint for the salt chuck. Funny that fresh water paint - its teflon. Not much sticks to it. 8)
gulo

Working from the book w/ a question

Post by gulo »

I just got started on building the Endeavor from the lofting tables. Although it took a bit of time the forms and strongback are coming along fine. However, I plan to build a recessed cockpit on the boat, so I need to make some additional cuts to the 3 forms at this point. Problem is, the book does not give a specific location for the cockpit. Could anyone give me the specific measurements for the length and placement of the cockpit? I need to modify the dimensions to take into account the recessed area, but want to be sure to locate the cockpit and seat at the proper point to maintain a well balanced and seaworthy craft.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bret
Doug

Post by Doug »

May be of interest to you,

A recent thread was posted in the builders forum,

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
IslandStripper

Deck time

Post by IslandStripper »

FInally back at her again after a couple months of landscaping and other house hold projects. The deck is now 85% complete and its going quite well - stapleless isn't that bad.

new photos at photos.yahoo.com\davidjrollins

Later

Dave :eyebrows

Here is a direct link to Dave's photos: http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davidj ... /my_photos
Glen.
arudson

Post by arudson »

Eight months of hard work but the job is done. My Endeavour saw freshwater last weekend and a summer like calm morning allowed me to go to put in the chuck on Friday and go for a wonderful paddle around a couple of the Northern Gulf Islands. All the work seemed worth it. Today I attended an introductory Kayaking course and am really excited for the weeks ahead and the many outings to be had.

Here are a couple of photos showing the fruits of my labour.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/view ... 2265/parm/
Last edited by arudson on Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alan Rudson
Nanaimo, BC
woodshop@shaw.ca
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Congratulations Alan! Enjoy your new boat. Do you have any pictures to share?
Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alan, thanks for posting the photo album link, very nice!
BellGuy5

17' 0" Endeavour

Post by BellGuy5 »

Hello all,
I am currently building an Endevour 17' kayak from BMB. The hull is almost ready for glassing but it is too cold right now to attempt. While I wait for warmer weather, I will start to accumulate all the finishing touches I will eventually need. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good kayak seat? BMB offers the Nimbus seat...I don't know anything about this seat and haven't seen it up close. Any insight would be appreciated.
Cruiser

Re: 17' 0" Endeavour

Post by Cruiser »

I know that Swift canoe sells their seats to the public, I am told they are pretty nice ...

http://media.wix.com/ugd/f1b4eb_506aacb ... b09d05.pdf

Brian
Glen Smith

Re: 17' 0" Endeavour

Post by Glen Smith »

The Nimbus seat is very comfortable and installation is easy.