Hiawatha 15.5 stability?

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
abseakayaker

Hiawatha 15.5 stability?

Post by abseakayaker »

I have a 15.5 Hiawatha that I purchased from a woodworker a few years ago.I enjoy the canoe but find it feels somewhat unstable when paddling....a concern because most of the lakes in Alberta(especially glacier fed)are quite cool.
I have mainly paddled seakayaks in the past so maybe it's just the feel thats different?
I was thinking of purchasing a different cedarstrip if the design or beam isn't suited for a beginner canoe paddler......your thoughts?
Patricks Dad

Re: Hiawatha 15.5 stability?

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've never paddled a Hiawatha (so others could comment with more authority) but consider putting extra weight in it (a few gal of water in a jug) to see if it feels more stable.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have a Bear Mountain Hiawatha and found it tippy the first time I paddled it but that lasted all of 15 minutes then I was comfortable enough to enjoy it. I sometimes kneel and lean the canoe over to the gunwale and paddle that way without problems.

Does your problem stem from the fact that you are a kayaker? Try sitting in the canoe right down on the bottom and use your kayak paddle. If it now feels much more stable, then you will grow accustomed to it with practice.
abseakayaker

Post by abseakayaker »

thanks for the info......will try to get a bit more time in the canoe.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,
I paddle a Hiawatha,and initally, after a Peterborough it did feel unstable. But if you persevere you will start to feel more at home. My first trip after I had finished the build was two days down a fairly gentle river solo. The first few miles certainly focused the mind,but as my confidence grew I started to enjoy its reponsiveness more and more. Now I absolutely love it and paddle nothing else. Like most things, the harder it is to learn the greater the rewards.
All the best and stick with it.

Richard
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I know this thread is over two years old, But I felt compelled to respond.

If you lower your seats by an inch or two, you will notice a great improvement in stability.

Several years ago I lowered the seats on a solo boat I couldn't believe how it became more stable ! It also makes it better if you like to use a double paddle.

I now hang my seats about 4" below the gunnels on a solo, maybe more on a tandem.

It's also easier to raise a seat, than to lower it !

Hope this helps someone !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Carl_09

Post by Carl_09 »

Thanks for posting.