My Paddle Making Websites

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KurtMaurer

My Paddle Making Websites

Post by KurtMaurer »

Greetings, All:

I'm not sure if I've ever posted here or not, although I've been checking in occasionally for some years. Anyway, I have a couple little web sites on paddle making that seem to generate a lot of interest, judging from the email I receive. I just updated one of them, and it occurred to me to post a notice here. Hope it's helpful to somebody!

Making "Bird's Mouth" hollow shaft canoe paddles.
http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/paddles/

A simple beavertail paddle.
http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/ ... %20paddle/

Greenland style kayak paddle making.
http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/GreenlandPaddle/

Glen Smith

Re: My Paddle Making Websites

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Kurt, thanks for the paddle info. I am sure our members will find this useful.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

This is excellent! I've been thinking I need to build some paddles. This looks like fun! Thanks for posting!
:applause
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Kurt,

Nice documentation of the bird's mouth paddle (shafts) that you make. I had started to make a similar construction paddle when I was creatign a hollow mast. I never did finish the paddles as I ended up moving twice since then. My days of moving have now come to an end (for several years) and I have to set up my shop (again!!!) to start (finish) a bunch of projects. I can't blame all of the slow progress on the constant moving. I have been fortunate enough to get my fair share of paddling, fishing, and sailing in as well (I went fishing with my daughter tonight). There are a few other projects on the go - I hope to get the deck finished before it gets cold - probably one of my last outdoors projects before it gets cold.

I will post some pictures of the finished paddles that should come out of my makeshift shop this winter.

Once again, nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Kurt,

Thanks for posting this. Really nice paddles - I'll be trying my hand at one for sure. Also love the humour!

Regards,

Moonman.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm just about done with a paddle using the birds mouth approach. It was lots of fun. I'll probably make a few more over the winter. Thanks again for the great site.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here's a couple pictures of my birds mouth paddle. It came in at just over 18 oz.

I finally got it out for a dunk in the lake today (It might be the last paddline I'll get to do this year)...

A bunch more pictures of the process at the link below:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f4f6100a16
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Looks good Randy,

I have been meaning to make a couple myself but no time. Any ideas on configuring a straight shaft? As Kurt mentions, it would be nice to use this method for a nice light straight shaft. I think you could do something along the lines of how the handle is affixed - starting the throat taper on the blade part as opposed to the shaft, along the lines of a traditional build, then cutting it off for the join, inserting the plug/biscuit and glue up....

Anyway, great job.

Moonman.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

If I were to build a straight paddle, I think I woulld taper the shaft strips toward the blade as well as the grip (leaving it larger in the middle for the lower hand). I would then split the end of the shaft in the middle and have it "straddle" the blade. I would then add a pair of wedges of cedar to cap the remaing end of the shaft and feather it out to the blade sides.

Make sense?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

HI Randy,

Yeah that makes sense, I wonder though about how thin you could get the taper since the strips are 1/4"? Although with the cedar wedges going up inside you would maintain strength there. Also, the whole thing covered in light cloth and epoxy would add more than enough strength as well. Good thing cedar is so easy to carve. I might have to try this over the winter and see what can be done.

Moonman.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Here is a straight shaft birdsmouth constructed paddle. I cut a slot in the shaft and epoxied a blade into it.Image
P1010002 by Stencilcanoe, on Flickr
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Your paddle looks great! what weight did it come in at?

Moonman.